VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Yellow Van Man
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Does anyone have or know where I can get hold of an engine wiring Loom for a 2.5 102bhp acv exAA and fuse box. The wiring appears to have burnt out where it has touched the exhaust manifold heat shield.

Before anyone tells me to scrap it, I have over the last few years replaced the following:

Injectors PP0.5
Glow plugs
Starter motor
Alternator
Battery
Timing belt (a few months ago)
Decat pipe
Exhaust pipe
Rim respray

...and a new set of tyres three weeks ago! Yes, the wheel arches will needs some attention but that's the next project!

I've even had the gear box oil replaced and a new clutch about 3 years ago. It also has a rock and roll bed, cooker unit and is London LEZ compliant (weight has been downgraded and registered as a camper).

Looking on ebay, I could easily spend between £3000 and £5000 on another T4 and end up with a shocker or something that needs a load of work doing on it. As much as I would like to buy a trouble free T5, we simply do not have the money.

In short, if I have to spend a grand or 1500 fixing it, I am not going to get as good a replacement vehicle for that. Certainly not a van!
And my family love our yellow peril!

The problem is getting hold of the loom and even getting hold of a loom at a reasonable price. Any ideas if it is still possible to get a new one and how much.

Please can anyone help! It is my daily drive and I need to get it back on the road as quick as possible.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have or know where I can get hold of an engine wiring Loom for a 2.5 102bhp acv exAA and fuse box. The wiring appears to have burnt out where it has touched the exhaust manifold heat shield.

Before anyone tells me to scrap it, I have over the last few years replaced the following:

Injectors PP0.5
Glow plugs
Starter motor
Alternator
Battery
Timing belt (a few months ago)
Decat pipe
Exhaust pipe
Rim respray

...and a new set of tyres three weeks ago! Yes, the wheel arches will needs some attention but that's the next project!

I've even had the gear box oil replaced and a new clutch about 3 years ago. It also has a rock and roll bed, cooker unit and is London LEZ compliant (weight has been downgraded and registered as a camper).

Looking on ebay, I could easily spend between £3000 and £5000 on another T4 and end up with a shocker or something that needs a load of work doing on it. As much as I would like to buy a trouble free T5, we simply do not have the money.

In short, if I have to spend a grand or 1500 fixing it, I am not going to get as good a replacement vehicle for that. Certainly not a van!
And my family love our yellow peril!

The problem is getting hold of the loom and even getting hold of a loom at a reasonable price. Any ideas if it is still possible to get a new one and how much.

Please can anyone help! It is my daily drive and I need to get it back on the road as quick as possible.
Just had a quick lok on the parts system ................ exact loom will be VIN dependent (I cannot log into VW to check that), but at just over £1100.00 not cheap either!

Many if not all of the RHD numbers were dropped in 2014; but check your VIN with Main Dealers or TPS. I think you will be after S/H or maybe even having one made to pattern T:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
It seems there are quite a few vans being broken , currently , on various sites ..?? It may be worthwhile just trolling through as many as you can ... dont know if the AA vans had any mods . though , or if wiring mods were aftermarket ...

·
Yellow Van Man
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I'll try TPS. Hopefully, the garage who have my van at the moment will be able to source a loom. Finding one from a breakers would be ideal providing it hasn't been poorly ripped out. £1100 seems quite steep especially if vat needs to go on top but may be the only way to go. Anyone know of someone breaking an exAA van?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Thank you. I'll try TPS. Hopefully, the garage who have my van at the moment will be able to source a loom. Finding one from a breakers would be ideal providing it hasn't been poorly ripped out. £1100 seems quite steep especially if vat needs to go on top but may be the only way to go. Anyone know of someone breaking an exAA van?
That was VAT inclusive, .................. I think if good dismantlers realised the actual price of parts when they were new, and that many are now obsolete and no longer available, they would be more careful stripping stuff out.

It never fails to amaze me of the pure rubbish (pre-owned parts) being advertised on auction sites ........... and often MORE expensive than the parts are / were new (and yes many are still available new). They often state the parts are no longer available (but obviously do not really check the facts) ..................... and then people go and buy them :eek:

Hope you find what you need, and you are back on the road again soon T:

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Hang on a minute, there isn't a VW loom that goes anywhere near the exhaust. That sounds more like some spurious aftermarket wiring that could do with ripping out.

·
Yellow Van Man
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Quick update, I have called TPS and VW and neither can get hold of the parts anymore so my only option is a used loom. I did get a part number from TPS (7D2971072GE) and two from VW (7D2971072GE and 7D2971072GB).

There seems to be engine looms for other 2.5tdi engine codes on ebay but none for an acv. I've now been emailing as many breakers as I can with the hope of finding the correct part.

Talking to my mechanic, apparently the cable goes across the engine from the fuse box and was touching the exhaust manifold.

Does anyone know of anyone who can make a custom wiring loom?

·
Yellow Van Man
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like Cali Campers can supply me with a loom.

Thank you all for your advice. Hopefully, I will have a good outcome.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Am I missing something here? Wiring loom burnt on exhaust heat shield?

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,149 Posts
I agree Martyn,

Either roof mounted exhaust, or the loom has dropped WAAYYY down from where it should have been!

NO loom should run anywhere near the exhaust..........

·
Yellow Van Man
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was my mistake. I misunderstood the mechanic. It burnt out where it passed over the top of the engine.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,149 Posts
Now THAT'S a lot more common (ish).
They don't "burn" as such, they flex in that place, some wires break and the insulation shorts out.

MANY people have simply taken a load of wires and replaced the broken ones.

You don't even need to use the same colour wires, as long as the same size, and you make sure each END of the loom stays the same colour (or you have problems later, with another fault, trying to identify the wire!).

There's been numerous threads on this, but the best practice is to cut, strip, solder, insulate with heatshrink, each wire as you go along.
Takes a while, but saves you having to get a new mortgage!

·
Registered
336 Posts
just as an aside, it seems from my exhaustive research into my wiring problem and help from a good few on here, that all the t4 2.5 variants including the 150bhp use the same loom,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I checked personally on 3 of them and all wiring diagrams are the same,even the ecu pins,
ajt acv, etc all the same,
anyone who can folow the xurrent flow charts will see if you compare them, they are the saem up to about 98 then they changed them

·
Yellow Van Man
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately, my van is a 1998. My mechanic took a picture of the connections and forwarded it to Cali Campers who were then able to match it up. As I understand it, the earlier T4's also have a different ecu. When I looked into getting the van chipped, I learnt that I would need to have a chipset soldered on.

Does anyone know if you can fit a post 1999 ecu to a pre 1999 van? Should it turn out that the ecu got fried in the process, it would be good to go for one which could be easily chipped. Hopefully, that won't be the case and I'll be back on the road next week.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Unfortunately, my van is a 1998. My mechanic took a picture of the connections and forwarded it to Cali Campers who were then able to match it up. As I understand it, the earlier T4's also have a different ecu. When I looked into getting the van chipped, I learnt that I would need to have a chipset soldered on.

Does anyone know if you can fit a post 1999 ecu to a pre 1999 van? Should it turn out that the ecu got fried in the process, it would be good to go for one which could be easily chipped. Hopefully, that won't be the case and I'll be back on the road next week.
No problems with the earlier ECU ................. we wrote a new pair of 'chips' for mine over 17 years ago (still have the factory originals), and today, as then it runs brilliantly.

You just have to know what you are doing, spend a lot of time in R&D, have a good rolling road and the time and staff to do it all LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Yellow Van Man
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back on the road. All working except the cruise control and the need to press the brake before being able to pull away! Suspect the two issues could be related but that's one for another post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts