VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Camshaft bearing cap - can it be replaced?

I have just been looking for that old online ETKA link but it doesn't seem to exist any more. Or does it? Does anyone have a link for an online version?

I have broke one of the Camshaft cover studs clean off and inside the hole/thread. I tried to drill it out but being aluminium just made a mess. So therefore have now take the whole Camshaft Bearing Cap off and will replace both this and stud to solve the problem.

I have the part number for my 2.4D Camshaft Bearing Cap (#074 453 - 2 DE ) but also need the studs part number. I have a 1998 1.9TD sitting on my drive and before taking it apart was wondering if the part would be the same. Instead of buying a new one I could maybe use the 1.9TD one? Are the 2.4D & 1.9TD part numbers the same?

Here are the parts i've taken out:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers 'skinman_uk' - lovely

That's certainly the stud I need cheers - have you got the 2.4D part number? Is it the same?

For some reason it doesn't show the part numbers for the Camshaft Bearing Cap (i.e. what the stud screws into..). I'm also after the 1.9TD part number for this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hi i think you will find the cap only comes complete with the head as they are line bored.
also the part is a camshaft cap.
tuggy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hi i think you will find the cap only comes complete with the head as they are line bored.
also the part is a camshaft cap.
tuggy.
So I can't just buy a new broken bit as shown in the photo? i..e a single camshaft cap? :*

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
if its the highlighted part is does list it seperatley £4.08+vat showing in stock on vw main computer mate

sorry just read that again....as said before its in the head

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meh ... that exactly the news I wasn't hoping to hear... How much we looking to fix it then? :(

·
13,223 Posts
you could have a chat with an engineering firm, there may be a way to do it without replacing the head? :*

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
you could have a chat with an engineering firm, there may be a way to do it without replacing the head? :*
I'm seriously gutted about this. What are my options of sticking a bolt to aluminium? Glue?

Also ... why can't I just change the single (i.e. in photo) part with another one? Is it 'bored' to only my camshaft? Will getting another one from a breakers damage my engine?

·
13,223 Posts
I'm seriously gutted about this. What are my options of sticking a bolt to aluminium? Glue?

Also ... why can't I just change the single (i.e. in photo) part with another one? Is it 'bored' to only my camshaft? Will getting another one from a breakers damage my engine?
i would advise you to give phil a call 01628418463 have a chat with him, tell him ur problem, he may have an alternative, no promises tho mate :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts