VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
just been looking at existing threads but didn't anything too current so thought i'd post a new one. you seem like a friendly bunch so hoping you'll help out a newbie!

i'm looking for any advice, suggestions, tips and savings you could suggest for a trip i'd planning for Sept 2016.

Ferry to Santander/Bilbao (£1000 return with cabin???), then around the Spanish coast into Portugal, ultimately visiting family living an hour outside Porto. Same journey in reverse to get back.

Dates and getting to see the family is the only rigid part of the plan so if there's a better way to do it speak up! Otherwise looking for a mix of sun, bbqs, scenery, party and adventure.

it'll be the girlfriend and i, no kids.

thanks

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Hello Spinach.
'Er indoors and I did a similar thing for about 6 weeks last January. We paid £613-00p for our ferry, but I think it will depend on the time of year.
Cabins are mandatory on Brittany Ferries. Just keep trawling the web for prices from booking agencies. They seem better than booking direct with B F.
As for sites etc look on the web for a Spanish site called furgovw.org. They have an interactive map of campsites and wild camping location all over Europe
Roger.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
hi
just been looking at existing threads but didn't anything too current so thought i'd post a new one. you seem like a friendly bunch so hoping you'll help out a newbie!

i'm looking for any advice, suggestions, tips and savings you could suggest for a trip i'd planning for Sept 2016.

Ferry to Santander/Bilbao (£1000 return with cabin???), then around the Spanish coast into Portugal, ultimately visiting family living an hour outside Porto. Same journey in reverse to get back.

Dates and getting to see the family is the only rigid part of the plan so if there's a better way to do it speak up! Otherwise looking for a mix of sun, bbqs, scenery, party and adventure.

thanks
We're doing almost exactly the same route! Been to Santander twice - the Pont Aven is brilliant. We'll be going via Galicia which we really like when we last went there. Porto looks amazing!
Try and find a Brittany Ferries discount code - you'll get 10% off.

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
You have no chance this summer.
We looked last month and can't find a crossing with a room. Our plan was for September.
Think we are just going to head over to France instead and drive down towards the South West coast.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
hi

thanks
I might see you, I'm on the road in Spain and Portugal for the second half of September. I had originally planned the same as you are but the ferry was way too expensive so in the end, decided to travel from Poole to Cherbourg and start my road trip in France, will be travelling down the coast to Portugal and back over a 17 day period. :ILU:

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
I was shocked at how booked up it was even in January.
Well that's good to know.
I think perhaps we will look at going next year and book a year in advance. We are very last minute and mostly book a few weeks in advance when travelling. Tend not to think to much about where we are going or how. Just pick somewhere and do it. Really surprised how booked up the ferries are.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Well that's good to know.
I think perhaps we will look at going next year and book a year in advance. We are very last minute and mostly book a few weeks in advance when travelling. Tend not to think to much about where we are going or how. Just pick somewhere and do it. Really surprised how booked up the ferries are.
Same here so booking 7 months ahead before our van was even built felt very odd.
I've never seen on of the posh cabins available; people must book them years ahead!

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Same here so booking 7 months ahead before our van was even built felt very odd.
I've never seen on of the posh cabins available; people must book them years ahead!
Yeah, bit gutted we can't find the right crossing for this September. My wife is going to request a couple of weeks for 2017, thinking first two weeks of September, when she returns to work Monday and we will book our ferry a year in advance:eek:

Looks like we going to hit SW France instead this September. Haven't ventured round that way since 2005. I really can't remember it very well. But it's a surf trip. Big Daddy needs some quality surf time:cool:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was shocked at how booked up it was even in January.
Same here, we started looking for a 3 week return trip in mid January and they were very thin on the ground. Ended up putting the trip off till next year in the end as couldn't get what we wanted.

Any ideas when they release the tickets for the 2017 year? Want to make sure for next year..

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Same here, we started looking for a 3 week return trip in mid January and they were very thin on the ground. Ended up putting the trip off till next year in the end as couldn't get what we wanted.

Any ideas when they release the tickets for the 2017 year? Want to make sure for next year..

We have now booked for first two weeks of September 2017. £35 deposit secures your crossing and room.
T:

·
Registered
50 Posts
We've just booked ours, 4th December, £940 with dog friendly cabin. We're getting married on the 3rd then heading down to Andalucia for a month long coastal road trip. Any campsite recommendations welcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts