VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

Last years excursion. We didnt travel thr Poland (i did that the month before we went on Hols when me and amate drove two Syncros home from Estonia!) The map is 'wrong' in that we caught a frieghter from Kiel and travelled 24hrs on it to Klaipeda.

2 adult and 3 kids and we were away for four and a half weeks. Was about £4.5k but that included all ferries (dover/calais return , kiel-klaipeda , Taliin-Helsinki , Helsinki-Stockholm) and all the kidney stealing bridges in Scandanavia, fuel , campsites etc etc etc (oh and a not so 'Bargain Bucket' in Copenhagen £42:eek:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is the trip we done last September:

Took 2 weeks and the total cost including:

Ferry
Fuel
Campsites
Tolls
Food & Drink
+ Spending money

Was €1700 for 2.

We could have saved about €500 by staying in cheaper campsites and avoiding toll roads but since it was our first trip we stayed in 5* sites (We're used to our swimming pools LOL:)

Also concidering we had to pay €500 for the ferry, it would work out a lot cheaper going from the UK.
Hey Brian,
We are nearly back from this trip, just 4 days left :( and heading back up towards cherbourg. we had three weeks, and loved every minute of it. thanks for recommending it at vantasival T: we skipped a couple of stops and added a few others but was nealy the same.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm reading this and looking at the maps, feel like i could jump in the van and set off now! Got to wait till August for the Brittany trip.(second year running, anyone not been to France is missing a treat!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Trying to plan a similar euro trip, was hoping to take the Portsmouth to Santander ferry, fell over when I got a quote of £880 return for 2 people.....does anyone know if there are any ways to take that ferry on the cheap or is it always so expensive?
Looks like I'll be driving through France at the moment as much cheaper...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Trying to plan a similar euro trip, was hoping to take the Portsmouth to Santander ferry, fell over when I got a quote of £880 return for 2 people.....does anyone know if there are any ways to take that ferry on the cheap or is it always so expensive?
Looks like I'll be driving through France at the moment as much cheaper...
hi mate i booked via ld lines from portsmouth to lehaurve only 260 return try ld lines

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
news up to now
ferry booked
van ready . well nearly lol
new driveaway awninng
breakdown cover done
map planned
europe sat nav
anything am missing

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
its nearly time for the big road trip. now mapped my route . start in le harve france .to barcelona.. then to gibaltra. then back total road trip 2800 miles all round trip

·
Registered
110 Posts
good luck with the trip !!
im away for the first time to norfolk this weekend ! nothing compared to some trips here but away all the same T:

have a good un and take care :ILU:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
well guys and girls we are back from our fantastic 3500 mile road trip done in 17 days . we started in le haurve in france first day covered 400 miles stopped at little place called Naillat in the middle of france . set the van up in a freinds garden for the night . . had gone into the van fridge to find the dam fridge is bust . o well onwards an upwards lol .
day 2 time to move on next target perpignam just before pyrenees stopped in a nice little rest side cafe for the night ... will load pics soon

21 - 33 of 33 Posts