VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Haven't posted on here for a while, but unfortunately never had much time in the van this past year or so.

Next year we have booked for the Portsmouth - Bilbao ferry - Can't wait. Intention is to go to The Pyrenees and probably Andorra (and perhaps cross into France) and also to go to Picos de Europa.

Anyway, our campervan insurance and breakdown cover is due for renewal at the end of this month and I thought all I had to do was simply phone up and get our breakdown cover changed from UK to European for next year as it was that simple when we went to Italy in April 2014. However, that wasn't to be the case - We have insurance and breakdown cover through 2gether insurance and they advised that as our campervan is now over 10 years old (54 plate) that they can't give us European Breakdown Cover, though are happy to give us UK breakdown cover.

I'm therefore hoping that people on the forum can advise who they get European Breakdown Cover with as there are bound to be plenty with campervans over 10 years old.

For info we have a 54 plate VW T5 85TDI LWB with just over 70k miles.

Obviously, it may be the case that we are best to switch insurance and breakdown cover as sometimes get better deal buying both from same place and so would obviously consider this.
We have been insured since end Dec 2010 with 2gether insurance and have been happy with the cost of the insurance, but as we thankfully haven't had to claim obviously don't really have any idea as to how they would be if we had to claim. I was pretty sure that there used to be ads for 2gether insurance and a rep on the forum, but haven't noticed them, so making me wonder if there has been some problems? But obviously may be nothing.

As probably is the case with quite a few of us, insurance of the campervan isn't normally as simple as insuring the car. We have never bothered applying to DVLA for reclassification as a campervan as we couldn't really see any advantage. As it was in a minibus style when we bought the van, it's still declared on the V5 as a Diesel Car, so not like it would change speed limits as I know was the case for those who had converted panel vans. Our insurance company knew that we hadn't changed the classification to campervan and were happy just to know the changes to the van (we hadn't changed anything to the engine, wheels or bodywork - purely converted to a campervan).

So, if people have any advice....
Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have just telephoned Safeguard, who then put me through to Scenic motorhomes as they said they never covered self-converted, but can't go with Scenic motorhomes either as we have never sent the V5 off to DVLA to get it reclassified.

Brentacre, though are able to give us European Breakdown Cover (vehicles up to 17 years) and whilst we could also get insurance through them, as we haven't got DVLA to reclassify as a campervan, they can't fully cover our contents.

I'm still having a look around, but at present at least I've got the option of sticking with our insurance at 2gether insurance and taking breakdown cover from Brentacre.
But of course that's open to change...

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Try Staveley Head. I used them on my 1995 Motorhome. I actually needed them too, they used the AA UK side if memory serves me correctly. You may need the log book to state that it's a motorhome though.

I've got my van european cover through Adrian Flux and is with Trinity Lane. Not had to use them. The policy was around £60? Mine is registered as a motor caravan but is not over 10 years.

Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I use Direct Line, mine's still classed as a panel van (03 plate) and was/is very reasonable T:
As for the V5... get it sorted there's still time.....

869 Posts
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance and breakdown cover if you wish. Unfortunately at present we can't just offer a standalone breakdown policy though I'm afraid.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Only realised that I'd never actually updated this thread.

Managed to get sorted out with Dan from A-plan. Thanks. T:
Not a problem for them to insure and get us breakdown cover as long as it was on a limited mileage policy and as our campervan is only really used for holidays (with very occasional other journeys), that really wasn't a problem for us.
Would therefore recommend looking for european breakdown cover and insurance on vehicles over 10 years to try A-Plan. Certainly did the job for us. :D

Regarding our V5 - we'd never bothered sending off to get it changed since 2gether insurance whom we'd previously been insured with hadn't been bothered about that, though they knew we'd converted to a campervan. Likewise with A-Plan.
I have certainly thought about trying to change the V5, but tbh not really sure what that gains us. I know that if our van had been a panel van in its previous life then speed limits change, but our van previously had been a school minibus and so our V5 the taxation class is Diesel Car with body type of Van/Side Windows.
Plus there is one area which I'm not sure whether DVLA would grumble about. Almost everything would pass DVLA checklist no problems. We've a rock and roll bed of correct length, plenty of cupboards, leisure battery, sink, cold water tap with onboard water tank, fridge, TV/DVD, table, 240V hookup, 240V sockets, 12V sockets, USB socket and even a porta-potti.
The cooking facilities though is what I'm not sure about. As we'd previously came from a camping background we have a trangia stove. When converting our campervan, we decided not to put in a gas stove, but instead to fit a microwave. Obviously the microwave can only be used when on electric hook-up. If we are somewhere without electric hook-up, then we simply go outside and use our trangia stove for cooking. I'm pretty sure though that DVLA want an onboard cooking facility and possibly wouldn't class our microwave as suitable since it doesn't work off 12v.
Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether this is really the case? If not and DVLA would be satisfied with our 240v microwave, then perhaps I'd be as well to send off and get the V5 reclassified.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Try Staveley Head. I used them on my 1995 Motorhome. I actually needed them too, they used the AA UK side if memory serves me correctly. You may need the log book to state that it's a motorhome though.

I've got my van european cover through Adrian Flux and is with Trinity Lane. Not had to use them. The policy was around £60? Mine is registered as a motor caravan but is not over 10 years.

Hope it helps.
Hi Smiley, Have you had a renewal yet? We were with AF and had the Flux rescue cover but when the renewal came this year it had gone up to £90. Never had to use it either. Went with A plan in the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts