VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My European breakdown cover with green flag is about to expire and they have quoted 150 to renew, although I have never needed / used it I have read many bad reviews about them..

Can anyone recommend a different company?? I have had a quote for a company called qdos but it seems to good to be true..

·
Registered
127 Posts
i upgraded my nationwide account and pay £10/mth for which i get breakdown cover incl homestart and european cover - covers any car that I am in, think its with Brittania rescur...plus other stuff like mobile phone insurance and european travel insurance for the whole family - appears like a great deal.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The obvious one is VW Assistance I:
No one knows as much as the vehicles
And in some cases I have even seen them return a few days later to fit parts to save you the
hassle of visiting the Dealer

·
Registered
344 Posts
vw assisatance have very competitive rates. im with them and red pennant for my caravan which also covers the tow vehicle..
double covered.. touch wood.. if anything happends i will phone them both... first there gets the job :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
And in some cases I have even seen them return a few days later to fit parts to save you the

We are taking our campervan abroad at the end of March for the first time (new vehicle covered by VW assist). I contacted them to check Euro breakdown and their 'Get You Home Cover'and they confirmed euro wide cover but said VW Assist is managed, through a link, by the AA. So if you don't have VW assist try the AA.

However, in the event of an accident you need to ensure your vehicle motor insurance includes Euro Cover.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had brilliant service with the RAC in Spain last year when our EGR valve failed VW Salamance where also fantastic back on the road in less than 24 hours from breakdown.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I used to pay annual European cover (£150 ish) but also found it was wasted money if I didn't go abroad. You can buy Euro cover from Ferry or tunnel operators per trip, you just add it on when buying you ticket. Last time I went to Europe for a week via channel tunnel it cost me £22 for the cover.

Also if you have a monthly package deal via your bank, has travel insurance, phone cover, breakdown cover etc You get Euro cover included in this too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i upgraded my nationwide account and pay £10/mth for which i get breakdown cover incl homestart and european cover - covers any car that I am in, think its with Brittania rescur...plus other stuff like mobile phone insurance and european travel insurance for the whole family - appears like a great deal.
Doesn't cover camper vans/motorhomes though annoyingly!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Insured with Safeguard as a camper/ motorhome, their insurance includes european cover ,found their prices very competitive.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Had brilliant service with the RAC in Spain last year when our EGR valve failed VW Salamance where also fantastic back on the road in less than 24 hours from breakdown.
+1 for RAC.

My clutch went in Spain last year and they sorted everything out with the local VW place who (to their credit) turned it round in a day so we could could drive through the night to catch the ferry back home the next day. They also reimbursed me for £150 of the labour costs.

You can pick up cover pretty cheaply if you go through Quidco and get cash back.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where do i get a quote for VW assistance? I cant seem to find it on their page..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doesn't cover camper vans/motorhomes though annoyingly!
Hiya we are looking for insurance now and it looks like the nationwide now includes motorhomes - see below.

Main exclusions or limitations
The following are not covered:

The cost of replacement parts and associated labour to repair
the
vehicle

Vehicles not registered to the account holder(s) unless the account
holder(s) are in the vehicle at the time of the breakdown and when
the breakdown professional arrives

Vehicles being used for hire and reward purposes (such as taxis)

Vehicles that do not have a valid MOT, any applicable vehicle tax, or
are not serviced or maintained in line with manufacturer guidelines

Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions when
fully loaded:

Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame)

Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight

All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width,
metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight
(Please see
Section B
of the policy document, for further details on
vehicle eligibility)

Vehicles not registered in the UK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts