VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a full and comprehensive list of everything needed to re-spray their van ?
I plan on doing mine soon, so just wanted to check what's needed.

Also if anyone else has done theirs, where did they get thier paint etc from.

Any help or advice would be welcome , thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Fook me dude, you'll need alot of stuff:eek:

First off a sealed and filtered spraybooth, can't really be spraying Isocyanate paint about will nilly, then a frikking hoooooge compressor to provide a steady air supply, plus a filtration system for the air and an air supply for whoever does the spraying.

Masking Tape
Paper
Grinder/sander & welder & filler & sandpaper to repair any dents/rust
Sanding blocks
Black guide coat
Stopper for any stonechips
Scotchbrite pads
Panelwipe/thinners
Etch primer
Filler primer or wet on wet primer & thinner & activator
Appropriate paper - depends on colour and whether its base or clear - 500 at least although I'd go at least 800 wet n dry
Colour coat & thinners plus activator
Clear coat if needed & activator & thinners
Mixing stuff for paint
Somewhere to clean all your gear up - don't put paint/thinners down drain!!

Jay

G

·
PRACTISE!!!! PRACTISE!

get to the breakers yard and get some panels to " have a go on"

but TBH if you need to be asking then

If i were you first thing would be to enroll in an evening paint/bodywork repair class at yer local college.

you might even be able to get your van in and use the booth

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fook me dude, you'll need alot of stuff:eek:

First off a sealed and filtered spraybooth, can't really be spraying Isocyanate paint about will nilly, then a frikking hoooooge compressor to provide a steady air supply, plus a filtration system for the air and an air supply for whoever does the spraying.

Masking Tape
Paper
Grinder/sander & welder & filler & sandpaper to repair any dents/rust
Sanding blocks
Black guide coat
Stopper for any stonechips
Scotchbrite pads
Panelwipe/thinners
Etch primer
Filler primer or wet on wet primer & thinner & activator
Appropriate paper - depends on colour and whether its base or clear - 500 at least although I'd go at least 800 wet n dry
Colour coat & thinners plus activator
Clear coat if needed & activator & thinners
Mixing stuff for paint
Somewhere to clean all your gear up - don't put paint/thinners down drain!!

Jay

thanks man,

got access to a booth and compressor for the spraying , so that's sorted.
done all the dents and rust already.

So just a nice long list of stuff to buy :eek:

Just considerin' doing it myself to save spending loads on a professional respray, unless there's somewhere that'll do my van for £600 lol LOL:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Ok - bare metal will need an etch primer, just wipe it on with a cloth.
Any repairs ie filler will need a coat oh high build primer, then a guide coat then flatted back with a block and 800 wet n dry.

Then you obvioulsy need the top coat.

Meticulously clean with panel wipe, and blow as must dust away as you can, good idea to sheet right to the floor to avoid dust and **** from under the van getting onto the paint

If its white then you are in luck because white will hide loads of naughtiness, if its silver or black then get a pro to do it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
quick tip , if ur spraying in a garage with a concrete floor , cover the floor in water to stop dust rising. T:

·
Registered
503 Posts
quick tip , if ur spraying in a garage with a concrete floor , cover the floor in water to stop dust rising. T:
That could be taken the wrong way :confused: moisten the floor before spraying. You dont want it soaking and dragging your airline through it and chucking it all over the bodywork when you do the roof. Just wet it out and brush away excess T:

·
Registered
995 Posts
That could be taken the wrong way :confused: moisten the floor before spraying. You dont want it soaking and dragging your airline through it and chucking it all over the bodywork when you do the roof. Just wet it out and brush away excess T:
yep thats what i meant , if you move the letter around abit it says it , did it secret code style I:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok - bare metal will need an etch primer, just wipe it on with a cloth.
Any repairs ie filler will need a coat oh high build primer, then a guide coat then flatted back with a block and 800 wet n dry.

Then you obvioulsy need the top coat.

Meticulously clean with panel wipe, and blow as must dust away as you can, good idea to sheet right to the floor to avoid dust and **** from under the van getting onto the paint

If its white then you are in luck because white will hide loads of naughtiness, if its silver or black then get a pro to do it.
I was planning on going black....but this would be to much hassle to get a good result ? I realise i'm not going to get a professional finish but will it be that hard to get a good finish ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.