VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Has anyone had any dealings with the air suspension on the ex-AA vans?
Does anyone know what the pressure they should be set to?
Are they better striped out?

any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have the info sheet for them somewhere will dig it out , i do recall it saying something about keeping a minimum of 1 bar in them to stop them getting damaged

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i have the info sheet for them somewhere will dig it out , i do recall it saying something about keeping a minimum of 1 bar in them to stop them getting damaged
Yep that's true...

As for the airbags themselves, removing them is really going to depend on whether you want to lower the van. If you do, then whip them out and it'll drop by out 20-30mm already before thinking about springs. Depends on whether you intend of carrying really heavy loads or towing something monumentous.
I removed mine and replaced the springs with Eibach 50mm drop HD springs.... No problems towing for me...

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi , instructions for mad air bags which i assume they probably are (mine is 03 ex aa) - minimum pressure 1 bar and maximum pressure is 5 bar these are lower and upper limits and must not be exceeded. it says amount of inflation is dependant on the load you are planning on towing (more load = more pressure). it also says that a label should be fitted down the inside of the drivers door giving the upper and lower limits . once i get a scan of it i can forward it onto u if u want .T:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Is it not possible to keep them on and lower. was going to lower mine this weekend but though i could leave them on??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes you can leave them on and lower the van.
Put eibach 50mm on mine with the airbags still on it sat okay.
I did remove the bags in the end though as one of the bags seemed to have a leak.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes you can leave them on and lower the van.
Put eibach 50mm on mine with the airbags still on it sat okay.
I did remove the bags in the end though as one of the bags seemed to have a leak.
Ditto. Lowered on Eibachs and bags still left in. No snags at all. I tow a caravan and have never needed to inflate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey vincent 29

the air pressure in the suspension is 5 BAR max 1 bar minimum
hope this help i had the same problem but found it on the drivers door check HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
I think you will find if you do leave them on and lower the van they will end up being punctured at some point.
I tried it with two sets and done them both eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
im dropped on HD KW springs, bags left in, HD Sachs dampers.. keep 1bar in unless towing then 2.5-3bar tows great..
if you empty all the air out of the bags the top plates rattle/knock on the chassis.. 1bar stops the knock and dosent raise the rear too much. Have removed the bump stop extenders also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi has anyone got the air bags from the suspension that they want to sell mine have burst and i do lots of recovery thanks guys

·
Registered
359 Posts
We can do something very similar to the AA bags if that's any help, you might need to re-drill the brackets a bit is all, I've not had a chance to make a side-by-side comparison.

They're not as cheap as the normal red bags that sit inside the coils, they're around £160-£180 a pair. The bonus is they'd work with a wider range of heights as they come in a load of different shapes and sizes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts