VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another ex-AA conversion!

I had a standard ex-AA with glazed rear doors and wanted to be able to sleep in it for the occasional camping trip but didn't want to lose a load of space to fitted beds/cupboards/fridges etc.

Step 1 - Strip and Insulate

Here is the Maple Immobiliser for early ex-AA T4s

Shot of the floor - bit of rust to sort out

Then I did the usual flashing tape on the side, doors and roof panels.

Ready for Celtotex - got this from Wickes, cut with non-serated knife and fixed with aluminium tape.

remember, both top panels are the same, so when you have got one right, just cut round it for the other side.

Two layers of thermal bubble wrap - Wickes seems cheapest for this. One layer on roof, the other I fixed to the headlining.

I fitted a labcraft spiro LED tube light above the barn doors - loads of light. Tapped into the interor lighting circuit live wire, adding an inline blade fuse. While I was looking at the lighting, I replaced the interior lights with Passat ones, put some LED bulbs in them, and repaired the chopped loom with a section from a scrapped T4. Now my normal lights come on when the rear door is opened and the tube when I flick the built in switch.

Then onto carpet lining. After checking the forum, I went with megavanmats and was really pleased with the kit he sent me - glue + carpet is good to work with. This was a lot easier than I thought it would be, apart from the wheel arches.

I re-used all the ex-AA panels. I carpetted over the push-in trim fixings, and the reinforcing "cups" for the existing self-tapping screws. I then made small cuts to fit the screws through on the carpet side.

End result looks pretty good. There are mistakes, but they don't show unless you really look for them. I kept the cig lighter socket in place as it is quite handy.

The bit I thought would be the hardest was around the side window. Checking the forum, someone had the great idea of making a frame to hide the cut carpet around the window. So I made a cardboard template, then used some 5mm ply board to make my own.

You can still see the paint, but only from an angle. Net from Lidl!

Finally, I re-fitted the Styleline Kombi Sleepover bed.

If you read the posts on here you'll know what a reputation Tony (MrPlastics) has on here. I picked up the bed from him and he's been 100% helpful - I went for black material as I have oily muddy bikes in the back a lot of the time. The bed is a quality piece of kit and gives you a load of space underneath for bags etc.

Another shot of the rear light. I ended up with enough carpet left over to do the headlining too.

Just got a small bit of carpetting to do and the interior is finished.

Hopefully, my 3 year old neighbour can stop saying things like "mummy, why does that man spend so much time sat in his van" :)

So big thanks all of you on the forum, reading all the posts gave me the confidence to give it a go and made the job a lot easier :ILU:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bit more info -

I needed one sheet of 25mm celotex and one of 15mm.

I also put another layer of bubble wrap on top of the insulation on the sides.

The window frame was T4Toads idea http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23798 Thanks for that!

The frame is 113cm by 52.5 cm square, and I found the brush on glue pots just the right size to cut round for the corners. Frame thickness is up to you, but I went for 2.5 cm all round.

Thanks to DazBoi too for supplying a load of interior trim parts and being generally helpful.

The cost of the styleline bed varies a lot - you can buy the frame and make the bed base panels yourself, buy the frame and panels, or the whole lot - frame, panels, covers and foam. There are some choices of covers too. Details here http://www.vwt4styleline.co.uk/products-kombi-sleepover.html Drop Tony an email or give him a ring.

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - had enough left to do the roof panels as well.

I reused all the original trim clips for sides and roof panels. Worked pretty well once I had the hang of working with the clips.

They were a bugger to fit back in some of the corners of the side trim as they are not really designed for fixing panels with carpet glued on. Lots of swearing, but got there in the end.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did dome more work yester day.

Finished carpetting the B pillar and the cross member below the drivers seats. Then added a layer of bubble wrap to the floor. I put some squares of carpet to catch the dust/dirt where the seat clips on.

Another view of the side window frame.

Put the Kombi Sleepover bed back in (next job is to clean seats)

Just need to sort out the floor covering, fit an interior spotlight and the interior is done :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi mtbjeff where did you buy the carpet from is it the stuff that can bend in all directions without creasing cheers.. got to get mine done now summer is nearly here

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi mtbjeff where did you buy the carpet from is it the stuff that can bend in all directions without creasing cheers.. got to get mine done now summer is nearly here
megavanmats - I told him what I was planning and he sent over a full kit. The carpet is great stuff to work with and any gaps can be filled and hidden.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi is their special bolts a think their called butterfly bolts need to bolt the rear seat in place like in the picture above.... that can be easily removed when ever. i need some.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The bit I thought would be the hardest was around the side window. Checking the forum, someone had the great idea of making a frame to hide the cut carpet around the window. So I made a cardboard template, then used some 5mm ply board to make my own.

Top job mate van is looking sweet A:
I think this guy you are on about is me :D

T4TOAD aka WOODY

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
Bit more info -

I needed one sheet of 25mm celotex and one of 15mm.

I also put another layer of bubble wrap on top of the insulation on the sides.

The window frame was T4Toads idea http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23798 Thanks for that!

The frame is 113cm by 52.5 cm square, and I found the brush on glue pots just the right size to cut round for the corners. Frame thickness is up to you, but I went for 2.5 cm all round.

Thanks to DazBoi too for supplying a load of interior trim parts and being generally helpful.

The cost of the styleline bed varies a lot - you can buy the frame and make the bed base panels yourself, buy the frame and panels, or the whole lot - frame, panels, covers and foam. There are some choices of covers too. Details here http://www.vwt4styleline.co.uk/products-kombi-sleepover.html Drop Tony an email or give him a ring.
me helpful, somethings gone wrong there then.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's been a bit more work on the van - this happened ages ago, but a new baby has stopped me posting any updates!

3rd seat has been fitted to the middle row. Thanks to akdaka on here and his guide to drilling out the holes, fitting the captive nuts and mushroom bolts. Colest4 supplied the seat, dazboi the new belt and other bits and pieces.

Van needs a good clean!

I also got some hard wearing non-slip amdro style flooring from jr-clearance-flooring on ebay. One of their off-cuts was enough to cover the whole van. Fitting it was OK, but I wish I'd had a roller to help get all the bubbles out! This went on top of the AA flooring.

I kept it in two pieces, but I am now left with a join to do something with.

Invested in a new threshold cover too.

Nearly finished all I want to do with the van - just need 3 inca headrests, and it would be nice to re-cover the new seat in inca too.T:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Looking good T: Love the design of those little beds, have seen them a few times before and thought about useing one but can you get two people on it or is it a bit of a squeeze?
Very tidy job your doing :ILU::cool::cool::ILU:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts