VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since all the info for the ex-aa vans is scattered around the site thought it maybe of some use to all of Team Yellow if the info was put in one thread not sure where to put it so if a friendly Mod knows better please move it.

2003 and later Models had all there electrics controlled by one main box under the drivers seat by a box marked "solid state control unit"

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/T4Bumble/Bumble Electrical/DSC02125.jpg

It has a small black control unit attached to it by a Lan (computer network) cable which either sits on the dash or a small cubby hole to the right of the steering column . From this you can control the beacons (hi/low flashing ambers and left/right alley), Hand wash station, Jump sockets and Saloon lights.

Jump lead sockets on the front and rear of the van use a Anderson yellow 175 amp socket (The amp rating isnt the main issue - the colour is. Yellow denotes 12v. No other colour will fit).
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=anderson+yellow
You can either crimp or solder them to a set of chunky jump leads (just cut off one end of the Croc clips). If you are soldering them Id recommend that you fit a handle on the socket so are not putting too much stress on the joints.

The little red button
The little red button on the dash is for keeping the engine on with the keys removed. Start the engine up and make sure the handbrake is on. Press the red button for a few seconds until a L.E.D lights up. Now you can remove the keys with the engine still running. Great for those cold mornings. Note if you release the handbrake the alarm will go off.

AA vans were serviced by BT Fleet. if you donnt have the service history it is possible to get a copy from them. Go to http://www.btfleet.com/contact-us/contact-btFleet.aspx and enter your vehicle details and ask it they can supply you the service history.
Cheers Zeb!

Standard brakes on AAs are 16 inch not 15!
Cheers someone who i cant remember.

more to follow soon!

Can we keep this thread more info less chat Ta

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also the windscreen wiper trick is invaluable whilst we are about it.

To change the rate of delay on the wipers -
Switch wipers to intermittent.
Switch wipers off.
WAIT 4 seconds.
Switch wipers on to intermittent - and now the wipers go every 4 seconds.

The WAIT (in my humble opinion) can be changed 3 seconds to about 10 seconds (I got bored waiting and fell asleep, so not sure if can go more)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Replacement items of Trim numbers. (2002 Van)

All the prices are plus VAT

The fascia panel around the switches 7D2 858 100A 01C £5.24

The fascia panel around the heater controls 7D2 819 075B 01C £24.60

The rubber shelf pad for above 7D0 585 770 01C £2.57

The upper centre fascia panel (in front of the gear lever) 710 857 243 E91 £11.09

Glovebox grey 701 857 095 E91 £33.45

Glovebox lid grey 701 857 123 E91 £23.96

Glovebox pins 701 857 169 01C £0.56 each

Section in between the door and the glovebox 702 857 137 E91 £23.07

RT Door pocket 701 867 132 U71 £34.33

Sliding door grey hardboard trim panel 703 867 203C 9ZW £14.33

LT Rear door grey hardboard trim panel 701 867 611A 9ZW £12.75

RT Rear door grey hardboard trim panel 701 867 612C 9ZW £12.75

Rear door frame lower plastic trim 705 863 487 2BC £23.07

Rear door lower striker plates 701 827 512 £13.75 each

Screws for above N90322901 £0.23 each

LT Sliding door step panel in black 701 863 725A 2BC £23.07

Centre section of roof lining hardboard grey 701 867 527 9ZW £19.58

Rear section of roof lining hardboard grey (short wheel base) 721 867 527A 9ZW £25.67

Roof lining connecting strip with fittings grey 7D9 868 551 1YX £20.33

16X7 Steel wheel 7D0 601 027E 091 £43.07

Black front VW grill badge 323 853 601 041 £6.70

Black rear VW badge 701 853 601C 01C £9.90

cheers Bellers T:

Can someone post a pic of there dash need a pic of a 2001 and 2002 van in standard form

·
Registered
670 Posts
Great idea.

There are airbags fitted to the rear suspension of AA T4s, these are to allow correction of the ride height when towing vehicles (off motorways etc).
Many people remove these, especially when lowering their vans.
If you still have them fitted, you need to maintain a minimum of 1 bar (15psi) of pressure in them to stop them folding up and getting damaged within the rear springs.

The inflation points are beneath the rear bumper, and are a standard tyre type schrader valve.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Also the windscreen wiper trick is invaluable whilst we are about it.

To change the rate of delay on the wipers -
Switch wipers to intermittent.
Switch wipers off.
WAIT 4 seconds.
Switch wipers on to intermittent - and now the wipers go every 4 seconds.

The WAIT (in my humble opinion) can be changed 3 seconds to about 10 seconds (I got bored waiting and fell asleep, so not sure if can go more)
I'm going to try that tomorrow............i've had my van three years and the wipers have always driven me nuts !!!!!

Cheers

Daaisy:ILU:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paint Codes

AA green CA67

Yellow either VW LL1F or ford AA yellow or Max Meyer Golden Yellow BS381C 356 This is a good match if a little darker.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Standard Tyre Size

205/65/15 were fitted to caravelles and AAs

:ILU:

Also AAs dont ABS as i found out today. Nothing hit but was close

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes it's fine, I've disconnected the box and removed everything rearwards of it, haven't dared pull the dash apart yet, to get the ones from the engine bay, know of a couple of folks who immobilised their vans whilst doing this, and until I know why this happened I'll leave the wires there :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great info. I've got a silver aa van which was covered in yellow stickers (which i'm still trying to remove the remanance of fromt around door handles etc. But can anyone tell me this, i know why i have plates on top of my van (pressume these are where the amber beacons were, but what are the plates covering at the top of my tailgate (bit worried removing them as not water is getting in, but if they were some sort of top brake/side lights i might reinstate them). If they were lights, where can i get them from??

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a tyre valve coming out of my tow bar, could this be the same thing??
Yeah. You should 2 (1 for left, 1 for right side).
Here's my top tip. When using the digital air pumps at the petrol station (the ones where you put your required pressure in and just put the line on the valve) to top the airbags up, press the flat tyre option as often the computer doesn't recognise the pressure in the air bag to start pumping air in

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just found out one of my friends works for the fleet company who serviced the AA vans for them so I asked a few questions and this is his reply!

I think most of the T4s are now gone, with the 03s being the very last of them.
They're quite a high specced van, so getting spares can be problematic if you don't know the exact spec (brakes in particular)
Engine is a 2.5tdi engine code ACV (you'll need to know that for ordering a lot of engine bits).
Offical timing belt replacement is 80k, however the AA always got them done every 60k.
We were always supposed to use genuine VW belt kits, as there were issues with aftermarket kits not making the full replacement interval. Also replace the waterpump at the same time as the belt, as we had a couple snap belts due to waterpump failure (it does however mean you've got to do the timing again from scratch, but it's far less hassle/cost than risking the belt snapping)

Suspension wise, they came with heavy duty springs as standard, and also had a MAD airbag assist fitted to the rear. Best option is to bin it, unless you plan on carrying a lot of weight reguarly.

Brakes, they are actually 16" brakes, fitted behind the 15" wheels.
Took us a while to figure that out, and were nearly always getting the wrong pads/discs from suppliers until we realised.
If you ever need handbrake cables, they're cheaper from the dealer.

As for basic servicing.
Oil + Filter got done every 10k
Pollen + air filters every 20k
Fuel filter every 40k

They were also prone to engine loom problems.
Usually where the main loom looped downwards in front of the gearbox. The wires chaffed on the inside of the conduit, and eventually broke. And for some reason, it was always the wire that powered up the engine ECU, so the vehicle would cut-out or just not start.

Hope this is some help to someone!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Excellent info, cheers.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a service print out for my van? I know some come with them but I didn't get one off mine. I spoke to the VW dealer and he told me that according to his records my van had never been serviced although I guess this was because they didn't have them serviced by VW.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts