VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be very interested to know what other Ex AA T5 owners did to sort the holes in the roof from the light rig. Daft as it sounds I thought they were mounted on gutter brackets. More fool me. :(

What did you do about the wiring? Rip it all out or keep some? The rear jump start cable has been pulled forward and fed into the cab for a split relay before now.

Any lessons learnt for getting some of the fittings out? The bracket on the inside rear wall looks like it has one rivet and the rest are bolts. The floor in the front half looks like it is fastened down with torx bolts. Will a hex key work as well? Any nightmares waiting under that floor?

Any other top tips for the Ex AA vans?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
some helpful threads on here if you search for 'ex-aa' like this one:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29418&highlight=ex-aa+glovebox

I'm getting a respray in a week or so, and we're stripping out the grommets etc put in to block the holes from the AA lights, welding plates on to the inside then filling and sanding that off

There's a thread on here specifically about the AA looms too - might be mlinked in that link about if you plough through - I'll post another link here if I find it. Good luck! T:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Ignore me! I'm an idiot and a newbie - you're talking T5 and I'm talking **** - soz

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Ex AA vans can be a right pain to sort out into a nice van. The wiring is a nightmare. Holes in the dash and various bits of trim that will need replacing if your fussy. On mine, I have replaced the frame around the box in the headlining, several of the switch blanks in the dash, the dashtop tray, an air vent, and there are quite a few holes in the lower panel where the speakers for the AA radio were mounted (filled these with grey scilicone).
If I wasnt having a respray, the holes in the roof would have been plugged with a grommet and sikaflexed from below. As it was having a colour change, I had the holes welded up and filled.
There are extra holes in the floor, but to be honest, the floor isnt a problem, and you wont find any problems there.
Not sure if they are all the same, but was a bit miffed at how they had attached the plastic upper panel on the sliding door - it meant I had to get about 20 small holes filled for the sprayed door to look OK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just converted my interior ex AA T5... I gutted the dash wires from behind the stereo.... didn't need all that cabling.
Plugged the roof holes with black grommets from Wicks/B & Q and covered and sealed with clear waterproof silicone from the inside roof and on the outside. Did all this before insulating, ply lining and carpeting.

Anyone know where i can get the grey facia for the small box hole that sits above the rearview mirror? Mine is full of AA man's screw holes. Yes i'm being really fussy! :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Just converted my interior ex AA T5... I gutted the dash wires from behind the stereo.... didn't need all that cabling.
Plugged the roof holes with black grommets from Wicks/B & Q and covered and sealed with clear waterproof silicone from the inside roof and on the outside. Did all this before insulating, ply lining and carpeting.

Anyone know where i can get the grey facia for the small box hole that sits above the rearview mirror? Mine is full of AA man's screw holes. Yes i'm being really fussy! :cool:
Less than a fiver from VWT:.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Jim,

Because mine had already been converted, but the holes we're not sealed very well I used plugs and araldite to do a better job.
A better idea would have to filled them at time of conversion.

Cheers
Ian

PS like the avatar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts