VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told this is the right room for this so here goes:confused:

As some of you will remember I had a slight mishap back in the middle of august which left my poor van in a very sorry state:(

from this

to this

The insurance company have been next to useless and due to their incompetence I almost did not get a payout, to date the van has been written off and I have bought the van back from the insurance company and have had a partial payout (we are still arguing about the value of the van as they seem to have forgotten that buying a van in most cases incurs vat which makes quite a difference to the price):bhd

I finally got around to making a start
stripped the front end off the van and it looks fairly straight, the inner wings have slight creases in them

with the osf outer front panel support being the worst hit (wont know how bad for sure till I get measuring)

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A basic plan for repairs was drawn up

Conversion to long nose front end to repair damage:cool:
Rear tailgate to replace the barn doorsT:
complete respray- but staying yellow;)
pp conversion
intercooler upgrade
new clutch
timing belt and water pump
leather retrim (if the budget can stretch that far- big if)

nobody I phoned had a long nose front for sale at the time so I started looking for a short nose panels and was quoted just over £500 for a complete front end:eek:
with this in mind and knowing that I also needed the tailgate I decided to hold out for the long nose front- opinions vary on the fitment of a long nose front end onto a std van with some saying it couldn’t be done, some said it would require the front inner wings to be changed, others said it was possible but I needed everything

a mate of mine owns a breakers yard that deals in mainly ford and Vauxhall so I asked him to keep an eye out and sure enough a van came up for sale as salvage- went to see some pics just to make sure before bidding on it and to my surprise it was a multivan with a side swipe- ideal

to cut a very long story short, we bid on and won the van paying far too much for it tbh but it had everything I needed plus a whole lot more like electric windows/ mirrors, central locking, air conditioning and interior panels, and I guessed that I could always sell the items I didn’t need like engine and box seats etc to get some of the money back

so i have all the major parts for the repair and got a couple of weeks off work soon so i can get cracking:ILU:

·
Administration
1,766 Posts
Which one you gonna fix? :)

If you find you have an excess of electric mirrors and aircon let me know! T:

Other then that I really looking forward to see what you do with this project! A::cool:

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
started to strip the front panels from the multivan this week to try and work out how to fit them to the shortnose van as there was still a bit of a debate as to whether they would actually fit or not-well I’m happy to report that it is a straight forward bolt on job :ILU::ILU:
the front panel on the short nose is a two piece item
lower panel and headlamp bowls are one piece and the slam panel bolts to the headlamp bowls, but on the longnose these are separate

the lower front panel bolts straight into the mounting points of the original one
the headlamp bowls are bolted to the chassis leg (holes are already there ready but they need to have riv nuts or similar inserted) and to the inner wings
slam panel bolts to the headlamp bowls

there is also a bolt on extension bracket that goes on top of the inner wings to change their profile, it just bolts on where the origional wings were bolted

even the tow eye has a bolt on extension

when I removed the damaged wings from the aa van I discovered that they are bonded to the inner arch and were stuck fast, so well in fact that I destroyed the bottom profile of the wing while trying to remove them, obviously I had to take more care with the multivan wings so I removed as much of the sealer as possible with a mini disc sander then heated up the remaining sealer with a hot air gun, the wings them came away from the van with no problems H:

so this is where im at as of now, front panels, wings and bonnet fitted, got to make some minor adjustments but there nearly there, just got one small repair left to do then check the fitment of the grill, lights and bumper

just trying to find the courage to go back out into the cold again as I write :eek:this

·
Registered
307 Posts
do you have any more parts from the red van available? i could do with a complete lock set and some solenoid/rods etc from drivers door.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't really know if this will help, Totally T4 carried out the same conversion on a panel van which is shown on their website, www.totallyT4.co.uk, if you get stuck they can probably advise you on any issues, Have you still got the gearbox and all attachments, if so what do you want for them?

looking good though. All the very best, Scally

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yellow & red...never thought of that, but it actually looks quite good....hmmm:cool:
If you stick withthe yellow and red perhaps you should change your form handle to 'Rhubarb and Custard'.
its not staying red and yellow:eek:, just thought it was funny that my track car had the same scheme;)

Lookin good dude hows the front end coming along? Lovin the track car by the way.A:
cheers dude, updated nowT:

nice work dude. :ILU:
how are you going to finish the inner wings? or are they?
will all be painted the same colour

Don't really know if this will help, Totally T4 carried out the same conversion on a panel van which is shown on their website, www.totallyT4.co.uk, if you get stuck they can probably advise you on any issues, Have you still got the gearbox and all attachments, if so what do you want for them?

looking good though. All the very best, Scally
not had too many problems so far but cheers for the advice:D

Bloody good post 3dr.

Bloody good.
Cheers dude

sorry for the lack of updates, been very busy over the Christmas period and hopefully things are getting back to normal now

I have decided to do a track day at the beginning of feb so have been busy trying to get the van ready to use, some of the planned mods will take a back seat until after the event

finished lining up the front end, all trial fitted

removed the barn doors

removed the latches and fixings and put them on mine

fitted the tailgate

replaced the banana shaped steering arm

while under the van I noticed that the btm pulley was cracked, gave it a tug and was amazed to find that the two halves were loose (not sure if this is a result of the accident or just wear and tear? ) so replaced it with a shiny new one- bit expensive:eek:

the wiring for the headlights has a proper plug for the caravelle lights, so this was transferred from the other van- soldered and double shrink wrapped

Have been to see a mate in the paintshop and have agreed a price and date to have the van painted – I was to get a panelled up rolling van to him first week of the new year !!- well that didn’t quite go to plan but I did manage to get the van to him on Monday the 14th – but as a bonus of having more time I managed to get the van back running to make it easier for him to move around
I was quoted a price of £1200 inc paint (depending on colour chosen) to have the outside of the van painted which sounds like a very good price but bear in mind he is a friend I have known for years and this did not include the door shuts (I’m painting these myself later to save time and money)
After much deliberation I finally settled on a colour- ‘lotus lighting yellow pearl’ unfortunately this bumped the price up to £1450 as its quite expensive but its is still not bad considering he effectively has to paint the van three times- white base coat, yellow colour coat and then clear coat over the lot

I was a bit worried about the short time scale to get the van ready and had already asked a mate about borrowing his rangerover to tow the car just in case but to my amazement I had a phone call in work today saying that the van was ready to pick up- partly gutted as I was hoping to get some shots of the van in the paintshop but at the same time so excited to see it all painted, so I went straight over from work to pick it up

So that’s where I am to date, I’ve not got any pics yet as it’s a bit dark out there so will get some up asap

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
so as it seems to me its not that hard to convert short nose to long nose?? only mountings, lights and panels need to be changed??? makes my efforts feel a bit insignificant on my van!!!!! nice job dude! :ILU:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great thread.

I'm sure the conversion details will prove useful to all.

I'm tempted to do the front end myself. When you look at what you would probably swap anyway it only leaves the front panel, wings and bonnet as extras. Worth it if you prefer the late look vans.

:ILU:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts