VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any advice on how to get the spare wheel off ex AA vans without breaking the nut off the holding cage. Will a large socket set happily undo it or is there a specific tool you can buy? Bought the van stripped out. Just been to Cornwall and back without a puncture but pushing my luck a bit.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Spare is normally standard steely... if youve got alloys make sure you also carry the wheel nuts for the spare as the alloy nuts are wrong size for steelies. Also pretty sure a socket will budge the spare carrying cage.. (17 or 19mm i would have thought). Those extendable lug wrenches are pretty useful rather than relying on the little standard one that comes with the van when you come to getting the wheel nuts off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spare is normally standard steely... if youve got alloys make sure you also carry the wheel nuts for the spare as the alloy nuts are wrong size for steelies. Also pretty sure a socket will budge the spare carrying cage.. (17 or 19mm i would have thought). Those extendable lug wrenches are pretty useful rather than relying on the little standard one that comes with the van when you come to getting the wheel nuts off.
T: thank you T:​

·
Registered
734 Posts
Bugger! Just read this thread and my heart sank...
Found the lock nut key in my ashtray and figured it must be for the wheels. To my surprise when I changed the steelies for alloys there were no locknuts in sight so threw the key away with gay abandon. What a muppet.:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other half sorted it out with a large socket set so we wont need to call the RAC to rescue the AA Van!

Rear seats put back in and futon adjusted so all fit now.A:

·
Registered
136 Posts
The vw commercial place on Derby road have spare normal bolts to fit it back.... if you get them from GSF on County road... make sure they give you the right one:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts