VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have spoken to the bloke that has the van i like and it turns out its an ex AA van is this a problem? i know its done loads of miles but mostly motorways im guessing but its also been full of tools and spares prob done a fair bit of towing too. I know they have air bags fitted but what other mods do they have? are they too be avoided or are they a good buy as they have full service history etc or do people run from them? i guess what im asking is are they worth the same sort of money as the same van in the same condition thats never been an AA van?
many thanks john

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
for some reason they seem to go for a bit more and people love them - (not saying theyre bad to all you ex aaers)

someone who has one and knows more than me will set you straight soonT:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi TBloke. I've had an ex AA for nearly a year now and overall have been really happy. Had 100k with full service history - nothing for a diesel - and mechanically its v good apart from some worn bushes at the rear end. The interior was really grubby and needed a lot of cleaning. I removed the toolbox and bulkhead and relined the floor with 12mm ply. Looks a lot better now. I've also put 17inch RS4s on which totally transformed the look. Single passenger seat coming soon. Pay attention to the body work especially around the arches. Trimming of the original AA stripes was sometimes done with a stanley knife without much care - tell tale signs are hair width cuts in the paint which may already be bubbling. Also look out for battered arches inside the van and damaged wall cards. Hope this helps. Can offer more thoughts if needed...

·
Registered
734 Posts
...and there's more!
Mods include:
Air bags to boost the rear springs for heavy loads and towing
Sockets front and back for heavy duty jump leads
V large tool box in back
Mini sink (behind front passenger seat) with hot water.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think most of that has been taken out as it has been resprayed all the same colour lowered 18inch rims and a few other bits my concern is although its a nice looking van is it worth 6.5K on a 2002 plate with 140k on the clock? as its an ex aa or dont it make any difference to the price so long as its tidy? or as someone said are they worth a bit more

·
Registered
979 Posts
i think most of that has been taken out as it has been resprayed all the same colour lowered 18inch rims and a few other bits my concern is although its a nice looking van is it worth 6.5K on a 2002 plate with 140k on the clock? as its an ex aa or dont it make any difference to the price so long as its tidy? or as someone said are they worth a bit more
Hmmm, I don't think ex AA's are worth more, unless it has all the kit and boxes etc that you can sell. I was talking to an AA bloke who came to start a company car I had, (a DisAstra) he wouldn't think of buying an ex AA because when they are not driving they are ticking over on idel(sp).
That said the engine can take it, it wouldn't put me off an ex AA.
What I would do is buy the latest standard/unmodded van in good condition that I could find, not so easy these days I know, but that way you can start from a blank canvas;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi John. I'm far from an expert when it comes to valueing vans, but I would say that once I've done the glove box thing, changed the front bench seat for a swivelling single captain's seat, re lined the back end, lowered it a little, new wheels and perhaps a lick of paint, with the initial van purchase it would all add up to about 6.5K. Totally agree with the previous comments though about starting with a blank canvas as you'd end up with exactly what you want and not someone else's creation. I've really enjoyed learning about my van by doing it, where practicable, myself. Mines now got 109k on the clock and is sweet as. I also found the known service history kind of comforting.

·
Registered
926 Posts
A year ago mine was 6 k with 69k on the clock. Good body Its run well but has needed Cat, rear springs Back box Hand break cable for the MOT. I may have slight seepage from the steering rack too.
Love it to bits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi i have owned a ex AA van since November last it is much supierior to the builders van i owned before and with the boost of 114 bhp instead of the original 102 it goes like it was meant to after taking out all the AA stuff it was very light indeed and now mine is campered it sits on the road firmly. some say the Yellow is a bit bright but eh i want people to see me coing and going. they are getting a little like rocking horse poo to find in a good state so if it is a good one dont let it go. they AA extras you can sell i got £ 40 for the rear hand washer and have seen the tool boxes go for the £145 mark getting a sigle passengers seat can be tricky or exspensive but by selling all the parts metioned you will get one. i also sold my double rear for £ 120 it allowed me to buy the front seat i wanted and with a CMC single under seat safe and seat base and swivel it is now the dogs my van had no service history but i needed to know how good or bad it was, so poped it on my mates vehcle lift and we checked it out, it had had new discs allround plus pads and new crank damper new belts and the oly thing we could find wrong or missing was the washer water (blue cap) was missing soon sorted my mate had a spare. i was told that the vans the AA sell through the auctions can be the ropey ones however the ones they let go through dealers are the better ones mine has 125k now and is ready to be run in. I did have the 1.9 tdi but am pleased i have the 2.5tdi now ( one of the reasons i changed the van. i would say they are the best platform to build a camper or crew van on. trust them but make sure you get the best you can buy and then you dont regret it in the future

Johnny mac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts