VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only just started my conversion but have benefited greatly from reading other peoples build threads I thought it only right to document my own.

I bought my 2007 T5 SWB window van with tailgate from Leisure Automotive in Birmingham about a month ago with 130k on the clock, since then we have sold the car and have been thoroughly enjoying the driving position, fuel economy and general driving comfort.

After much research on insulation I visited Classic Acoustic in Telford and bought 4 sheets of their thin, dynamat type self adhesive backed and 4 sheets of their 25mm fire proof acoustic foam plus some off cuts for awkward areas for £150. The guys were really helpful and were able to show me a T4 they were working on, pointing out the difficult areas and giving me step by step instructions.

1. Clean panels with white spirit
2. Apply sound deadening, using a hot air gun to help with difficult areas such as wheel arches
3. Apply 25mm of foam to sides, tailgate, roof and floor
4. Apply further 25mm to lower sides and door using the original hardboard panels as templates

So far I have only applied some of the thin sheeting which took lots longer than expected as behind the ply lining was some rockwool stuck to the side leaving a sticky mess which required lots of white spirit and elbow grease to remove.

To remove the rear seats, the fuel tank needs to be dropped down to allow access to the nuts beneath the van, I have been told this is an easy job using a trolley jack to take the weight and slowly drop it down with the filler and sender pipes having enough flex to avoid requiring removal.

The ply lining that is currently fitted does not fit closely to the shape of the van, wasting valuable space which needs to be rectified before carpeting.

Once the roof ply was removed I discovered a hole in the the roof where the ventilator was fitted, on the outside of the roof a piece of white perspex has been fitted over the hole using silicone sealant. It's water tight but I would rather fit a dome vent so I have ordered this to fit in the hole taking an inspiration from here.

I plan on finishing the insulation before having USPEX fit a leisure battery under the drivers seat including rcd and charger, under bonnet hookup, sockets and lights. Next will come a 3/4 Width Smart Bed with upholstery from Mid England Retrims and units from Green Dog/ Evo Motion Campers.

The deadline to get it all finished is Le Mans next June but we hope it will be long before then.

Further updates to come, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nice one T:

Without doubt the best money I've spent on my van so far has been on sound proofing from Classic Acoustics, I also went up to Telford to talk over my options and they were very helpful and also showed me around their T4's.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got the seats out. The fuel tank needed to be dropped down to access the nuts on the near-side and the centre silencer box and associated heat shield to access the off-side. The fuel cooler, lots of plastic panels and the hangars which support the centre box needed taking off as well. Here is a picture of the method of tank removal recommended by the guys at leisure automotive.

A cold few hours spent under the van today but with the seats out I can finish the sound proofing.

I plan on putting the seats up for sale, what do you think they are worth?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seats sold, new Caravelle triple seat bought from 19Ben93 on eBay, his company Brook Mobility remove them from brand new vans to allow for wheelchair access.
Link to item

Rubber multivan floor and single rails (swb) bought from Banwy vans plus step and rear threshold trim.

MVM carpeting kit with anthracite for the metalwork and silver for the ply, inspired by macuk's van - (Build) but I have not fitted or trimmed the ply yet so it is looking very dark at the moment.

Sportscraft swivel bought for the passenger seat, the holes on the top where the seat bolts to the swivel plate did not line up very well and caused a 20 minute job take over an hour :(

XV110 leisure battery for fitting beneath the drivers seat has been bought but not fitted plus the VSR kit from USPEX, .

Headlight upgrade kit from USPEX fitted and am very happy with the results, far brighter and whiter.

The van is booked in with Ultimate Transporters in Birmingham to have the rails fitted and I cant wait to get it back.

Still have speakers, wiring, lighting etc to go but we are getting there!

I'm very grateful for all the advice and wealth of information that is on this site, it has really helped.

Thanks,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Really interested to see an ex-police van being used here - the first van we looked at was formerly kept courtesy of Strathclyde chief constable. We were put off a little by the idea of them being thrashed / not cared for by the drivers - but that's the same for any vehicle, you'll never know the complete history....

The vans up this way tend to be twin sliders, but you get some that are 4 motion, 2.5 tdi - which is a big draw....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Finally got the seats out. The fuel tank needed to be dropped down to access the nuts on the near-side and the centre silencer box and associated heat shield to access the off-side. The fuel cooler, lots of plastic panels and the hangars which support the centre box needed taking off as well. Here is a picture of the method of tank removal recommended by the guys at leisure automotive.

A cold few hours spent under the van today but with the seats out I can finish the sound proofing.

I plan on putting the seats up for sale, what do you think they are worth?

Hi did you sell your seats? I think I have some similar and wanted to know how much they are worth?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts