VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, apologies if this seems silly ( or if the subject was covered before) but the noise of the engine within the cabin of my bus seems particularly loud. Is there any way of "dulling"this noise?
Thanks
DOK
( Only bought the van 3 weeks ago, and didnt notice at first)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Dok, it's worth checking the bulkhead soundproofing both inside the cabin and engine bay. If it's not there, or degraded then simply replace. Could be a case of adding extra soundproofing, in which case you culd buy and install bitumen adhesive sound dampening sheets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Coolflight, do you know if this is a job for a "DIY"er or would I need to bring it to my local mechanic?

Thanks again
DOK

·
Registered
134 Posts
i've insulated mine with the foil backed insulation you can get from wicks.

take the front seats out (easy peasy they unbolt) lift the front rubber carpet flooring thing(bit of a fiddle but not hard) Add insulation undernear, re fit the whole lot over the top.

really imrproved road and engine noise in mine..

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Diy job, lift the rubber matt in the cab and add something like dynomat underneath it, or for a cheap alternative roof flashing from somewhere like wickes or screwfix, the sticky backed stuff that looks a bit like lead on one side. the more places you put it the better such as inside the doors etc works better when warmish and push it down with a wallpapering roller or simular to get a good stick. It's never gonna be rolls royce quiet in there but it will help. Also check you van has the under engine tray fitted, many get left off when servicing and they make a big difference as well.

If it's the 1.9 TD then sticking under 70mph is much quieter than 80 if you're not in a hurry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
many thanks for all the suggestions. Can anyone tell me how to do the bulkhead without taking the dash off? I can't see any insulation anywhere undserneath the carpet. The van used to be a petrol and was converted to a diesel.T:T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts