VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday Guys,

I am new to the T4 world and have a quick question for anyone in the know.

Just bought myself a 2002 2.5lt petrol transporter. I live in Australia and after a quick test drive and purchase proceeded to drive it the 1240kms home.

Everything ran smoothly except for an excessive build up of heat radiated from the drivers footwell floor. It was so hot, and after only 20 mins that I couldnt rest my bare feet on the floor. My guess around 50deg C (guessing compared to steaming milk and what 65 feels like). Even with shoes one my legs were feeling pretty warm. The passenger and over the transmission feel as to be expected, slightly warm but otherwise unnoticeable.

Anyone else had this issue? If i were to guess id say it may have something to do with the exhaust that makes a sharp turn and runs under the drivers foot (RHD versions). would this be easy to shield against, or is something more sinister afoot?

I've only just gotten home, and this was the first point of call (second if google counts).

Cheers for any feedback.

- Grosey

·
Registered
591 Posts
Living over here under floor heating would be a bonus. I not sure about later T4's if they are different but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Have you looked underneath? There should be heat shields in place, double skinned up front. take a pic and post it, it all helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Will post a photo tomorrow morning my time. Too dark out now. But defiantly through floor. Worst where my heals are.l resting on the floor. Just hoping it was a semi common issue id not yet heard of. Will get back to you tomorrow :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have exactly the same problem buddy, only notice it when I'm away in the van though as thats the only time it gets driven without shoes! Can't be very good can it? If its like mine it literally burns your feet, whats that doing to the van??! I guess that it could be the exhaust join under the cab is blowing hot air up at the floor. Mine has been like it for ages and hasn't set on fire yet, but its definitely not an ideal situation. If you suss it out I'd be very interested to know what it is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Fiesta_Classic

Yeah not ideal situation....not looking forward to summer here if not fixed. It got to 48deg where I live so i'll be cooked.

So I've got under and had a look, the catalyctic converter is pretty much under the seat too, so perhaps this is damaged and some gases are igniting in the pipe before it??

I've just dropped it off at an exhaust guy in town and waiting to hear back. He is going to have a look at the converter and see if it's the cause of the issues.

watch this space.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Fiesta_Classic

Yeah not ideal situation....not looking forward to summer here if not fixed. It got to 48deg where I live so i'll be cooked.

So I've got under and had a look, the catalyctic converter is pretty much under the seat too, so perhaps this is damaged and some gases are igniting in the pipe before it??

I've just dropped it off at an exhaust guy in town and waiting to hear back. He is going to have a look at the converter and see if it's the cause of the issues.

watch this space.
Hi, did you manage to resolve this issue? I have just started having a similar problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts