VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me, this is doing my head in!
My T4 is suffering from some really bad road noise. It started when i fitted some heavy duty 50mm lowering springs from T4RUS, along with some new rear tyres, and a repaired (welded) rear wheel.
At first i put it down to a wheel bearing, after finding some serious play on the front right corner, which was replaced. However the noise remained. :(
I considered an out of balance or mis-shaped wheel from the rear that had been repaired, but as winter had come about i've fitted my steel rims with standard tyres.
The noise has if anything got worse.

:* Help :*

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I had excessive road noise until I got the van properly 4-wheel aligned (including the rears adjusted and reset - it CAN be done) as mine had far too much toe-in on the rears so it was dragging the rear tyres diagonally across the road rather than them just rolling in a straight line if you see what I mean.

Have you had it done? Is the van lowered/how much? (toe-in increases drastically as the suspension lowers down) Have you taken out the rear spring rubber plates as I should imagine this would increase the transmission of road noise (ie vibration) through the chassis :*

Have a search around for 4-wheel alignment on here. Try "hunter 4 wheel alignment" as a search string. If you have no luck, PM me and I'll try to find the thread where I went into great detail about what I had done and my thought process behind it.

Hope this helps. *<:)>

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good point, i'll string it up later this week, when i can get it on a flat patch for an evening.
Does anyone know what direction the wheels should be pointing in? Should they all be bob on straight, or should i be looking to introduce some toe in/out?
Also can anybody tell me how much camber i should be running. (may as well do it all)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
For my money, its not a job you can do effectively without the proper kit to do it. I bet the Hunter machines are in excess of £100,000, they use lasers and are ultra accurate. By having it done properly, you will know the front end camber, castor and toe-in will be right and on the rear the toe-in is correct too. The rear wheels will follow the fronts and the tyres wont scrub unevenly. I had mine done here at the Halesowen site and they are brilliant.

Personally, I wouldnt bodge it mate. I've followed other T4's on the road that "crab" along the road. For the cost its peace of mind that the suspension is set up properly and will maximise your tyre life.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
The Steve's from VW connections near Truro helped me out with a similar sounding problem recently - without unneccessarily doing my wheel bearings!

A quick trip to a top tyre geezer they recommended sorted out my very unevenly worn tyres in places - laser alighned my wheels - exactly what Johneames described - and the road noise magically disappeared :D

Seems like lowering your van and putting silly thin tyres on drastically increases your rubber consumption :(

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The Steve's from VW connections near Truro helped me out with a similar sounding problem recently - without unneccessarily doing my wheel bearings!

A quick trip to a top tyre geezer they recommended sorted out my very unevenly worn tyres in places - laser alighned my wheels - exactly what Johneames described - and the road noise magically disappeared :D

Seems like lowering your van and putting silly thin tyres on drastically increases your rubber consumption :(
It does, but you can maximise it by making sure the wheels track staright and true T:

lord_farquad - I cant remember how much it was now but was in the region of £50. Your best bet is to give them a ring and ask.

Just a word of warning guys, if your van is lowered it messes up the settings.

The first thing they do is measure the ride height and look on a chart. The chart gives settings which change according to the weight of the van, for instance if the unlaiden ride height is say 280mm the toe-in may be 2 degrees or what ever. So if they measure your ride height and its 220mm (ie -60mm drop but is not actually laiden, just lower than standard) the toe-in for this may be 6 degrees as the toe-in increases as the ride height decreases.

I dont know if this makes sense but basically the specs allow for folk to take in a van which may have 600kg of stuff in the back, but the tracking can still be set up, and when unloaded it will still be correct.

What you need to do is get them to ignore the ride height and adjust it to the unlaiden specifications or you'll have far too much toe-in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.