VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( My exhaust is starting to rattle , so I checked it & it`s going to need replacing :*:*
Does anyone know how much they are ? I think it`s the middle bit but all of it doesn`t look too good :(
It`s a 2.5 tdi S reg

Thanks

Sian :D:D

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm in a similar position, my back box has become detached.

I think the answer, as with all questions, is - "It Depends..."

Maybe someone could shed some light, but the variables appear to be down to wether you have stainless steel or not and wether you have to replace the Cat..

..i have read about people choosing to de-cat I'm not sure what the benefit or legal or performance implications of this are but they are all factors that will affect the cost.

B

·
Registered
790 Posts
Im off to get a longlife stainless system fitted tomorrow, full job with decat pipe, £419 though :0

Having been told by another member that he passed his mot with a similar set up, shouldnt be a problem having no cat.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I took off my exhaust from the cat, took it in to my local Stainless Steel exhaust place to make me up a copy doing away with the middle box, less silencer, cost me £90. Bought a stainless silencer for £60. Job done. A:

Just need to get the cat off and get them to make me a straight through pipe replacement for that, full stainless system for less than £200 easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure why you would remove the cat if its ok!
I need to replace entire exhaust and have looked at blue bird customs £350 for full system.
Though this is without the cat and im unsure if it is needed or not?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not strictly speaking a CAT like a petrol, its a partical filter. Getting rid of it "allegedly" improves the flow through the zorst. Plus replacing the cat with stainless pipe, in theory it should last longer (cats rust).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Same problem myself answer is ;
Cheap answer replace cat with downpipe from 2.4 and fit a standard exhaust right through approx £175 from VW at retail money or
Stainless powerflow exhaust fitted from £250
or twin exit from £350

Im using RSR in Surrey this weekend will add pictures as soon as i can

You dont need a CAT for MOTs on diesel engines so replacing them with a straight pipe is fine

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Update i had my power flow fitted today ,quieter ,smoother and more power and better economy already
heres some pictures ,guys at RSR are excellent and keen on T4s and VWs

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to my van, two weeks ago...

I'm keeping my Cat (for now - but blocking off the EGR), keeping the middle box but in stainless and going straight through to the back - but the tailpipe will be tucked up behind the rear bumper...

www.cheesmanproducts.co.uk

I've just got to find the time to book it in...

Meanwhile, www.jetex.co.uk can sell me some 2" (50mm) turns and a straight to get me out of trouble...

Did you know, that in Germany, cats have to be replaced every five years - and that VW now retrofit the Particulate Cats as fitted to the Euro 3 T4's

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
Cats restrict the free flow of the exhaust gases and are only required on new cars for strigent european laws. Dieslas dont need them for MOT test .
New-new stuff needs them for emision test but depends on where you take itI: as not testing stations test the same I:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to my van, two weeks ago...

I'm keeping my Cat (for now - but blocking off the EGR), keeping the middle box but in stainless and going straight through to the back - but the tailpipe will be tucked up behind the rear bumper...
To be honest, when i took my whole system off just behind the Cat you could hardly notice the difference in noise, i ran it like this for a couple of days whilst waiting for the exhaust to be made up, which is why i decided to junk the middle box.
The turbo itself adds quite a bit of silencing on it's own, even more if the cat stays on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts