VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps

can you reuse the C clips that fix the front pipe to the manifold or do they loose there tension strength once they have been used??? these have been on about 2 1/2 monthsT:

thanks Rick

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi Rick

I reused mine, I think they were the original ones so 5 years old but at that time I didn't have the correct tool to remove and re-fit them so the clips had stretched a bit I:, Then I noticed the downpipe to manifold join was blowing slightly so I went for new clips and friction ring and the correct tool in the end.

when I fitted the new clips they were noticeably stronger than the old ones but I reckon if yours are only 2 1/2 months old and you use the correct tool so you don't overstretch them like I did you should get away with re-using them.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rick

I reused mine, I think they were the original ones so 5 years old but at that time I didn't have the correct tool to remove and re-fit them so the clips had stretched a bit I:, Then I noticed the downpipe to manifold join was blowing slightly so I went for new clips and friction ring and the correct tool in the end.

when I fitted the new clips they were noticeably stronger than the old ones but I reckon if yours are only 2 1/2 months old and you use the correct tool so you don't overstretch them like I did you should get away with re-using them.

hi mate thing is with mine i used the method exhaust U clamps to open them up & to be honest i think they did take it beyond as since fitted with new Big ring gasket & new C clips the exhaust as had a squeak on/off the throttle ever since,,,
reason iam asking is Ive bought some of that exhaust heat wrap bandage stuff so to do it right its to come off again,,where did you get your exhaust tool from,,thanks mateT:

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers mate for the offer al get one sorted,,cant do with making do if that makes senceT:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I reused mine.

To get them back on I tied a bit of rope to the bottom of the C clamp and ran it under the van towards the front. I then got a friend to pull the rope while I used a screwdriver to prise the open clamp back on. It took about 5 mins to do A:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts