VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Can anyone tell me of they have ever fitting a T5 2.5TDI exhaust on a 1.9TDI T5?
All I can find on the difference is the 2.5TDI is a 60mm pipe while the 1.9TDI is a 55mm pipe but apart from that they look the same and have the same gasket at the manifold so should be a straight forward fit. Any thought? Thanks in advance...

·
Special Rapporteur
9,313 Posts
The situation may be different in Portugal (your profile suggests that's where you are) but in the UK you have to be careful because all but the earliest of the 5-cylinder vehicles have a DPF, and the manifold end of that will be completely different.

So if you're looking to use secondhand parts (is that why you're thinking of doing this?) you would be looking at very old parts, typically - prior to 2006, IIRC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 2004 1.9TDI and my exhaust is rusting and will hole soon. I am looking at the parts and have noticed that the exhausts on the 2.5TDI and the 1.9TDI are the same just size difference 60mm and 55mm. So if I have to change exhaust why not get the 60mm for more breathing from engine.. Does this not make sense?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,313 Posts
Not really, no. I doubt it will make the slightest difference, if you're thinking it will lead to neck-snapping extra performance? Personally, I'd just put the correct exhaust on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Triffic, I am looking at removing the rear box from the exhaust system. If I switch to the 60mm 2.5TDI system which is part number 7H0254501NX for the cat pipe, and 7H0253209Q for the centre box then I can fit 7E0253681D which is a 60mm straight pipe off the 2010 model. This would then remove the rear box from my exhaust giving me better breathing and be genuine parts and hence able to pass the MOT in Portugal...

·
Special Rapporteur
9,313 Posts
Ok - let me explain why I strongly recommend that you buy the correct part:

VW would have known from the start of the design of the T5 that the 2.5l and 1.9l engines would need different exhausts - not least because they would have known that the 2.5l would need a DPF later in production, and the 1.9l would not. So there is no reason why they would have paid any attention at all to making the manifold position and angle exactly the same on the 5-cylinder engine as it is on the 4-cylinder engine. If the position were to be, say, 20mm different, or if the angle of the manifold face were slightly different it would be of no consequence to them, as they would be making different parts.

But for you, if the manifold face is at a 5 degree different angle, for example, then you are going to be in trouble - even though on the parts diagrams the two parts look exactly the same.

TBH, on a 1.9l diesel the difference between 55mm pipe and 60mm pipe is going to make no performance difference at all. So I recommend that you just buy the right parts and save yourself what could potentially be a whole load of wasted effort.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the pictures of the front pipes of both the 2.5TDI and the 1.9TDI. They show the angle of the pipe to manifold is the same, like I said only the pipe size is different.
The flange gasket is the same part number as is the mounting bracket. Like I said the reason is trying to remove the rear box by using the 60mm system as opposed to keeping with the 55mm parts.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,313 Posts
You're asking on a forum that's mainly UK based, where it's something that few people would even consider.

In the UK, it's simpler and cheaper just to go to an aftermarket exhaust fitter and have something made up to fit. When we had the system on our 2.5l Kombi replaced last year, a mild steel system in factory parts would have been at least £800 without fitting, while a custom stainless system was £500, fitted.

And I don't want to be too disparaging about the intelligence of MOT (equivalent) testers in Portugal, but are they really not going to notice that your van has only one exhaust box when every other T5 that they've seen will have had two? Are they really that dumb that they will fall for your explanation that all of the parts involved are genuine VW parts, with real VW part numbers (but from the wrong vehicle)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to have a custom stainless steel system fitted but in Portugal if it does not have a VW part number stamp on it the vehicle does not pass. I had to remove my stainless steel box from my T4 and replace it with a Golf box that had a VW stamp on it so it would be passed. Over here if it has a genuine VW stamp on the part and its a VW then its fine. No one goes to the trouble of checking if the part number is for the vehicle its fitted to. The testing stations do not have that sort of resources nor time.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I would love to have a custom stainless steel system fitted but in Portugal if it does not have a VW part number stamp on it the vehicle does not pass. I had to remove my stainless steel box from my T4 and replace it with a Golf box that had a VW stamp on it so it would be passed. Over here if it has a genuine VW stamp on the part and its a VW then its fine. No one goes to the trouble of checking if the part number is for the vehicle its fitted to. The testing stations do not have that sort of resources nor time.
wow, so dealer parts only for MOT in Portugal, thats insane. I dont think i could afford a car if they did that in the UK lol

·
Special Rapporteur
9,313 Posts
That's a mad, rather pointless system, but I guess I shouldn't critcise. There are other similar mad and pointless rules in the UK...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hence why I am looking to increase exhaust size and flow within the rules that I am allowed to bend. So it looks like no one has done this before because you are allowed custom stainless steel systems. I will let you all know how it all goes:)

·
Special Rapporteur
9,313 Posts
Yes, but bear in mind that increasing the exhaust size from 55mm to 60mm on a 1.9l diesel engine will have literally no beneficial effect. IMO it's a rule that's not worth bending.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts