VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
is there a technique to get the c clips back on the manifold to down pipe as they were a pig to get off,not looking forward to this tomorrow .
Pete

·
Registered
74 Posts
hi, i used this method

once it was wedged open i fitted in place and knocked the support out, it needed to be set on a hair trigger and i would say it is a must to have some safety glasses on. having said all this next time i am defo buying the right tool as it is a nightmare.

good luck iain

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I use ratchet straps.

Attach under the van at a small angle so when you tighten the strap, it pops into place then release.

I have man flu if that no make sense.

Will be looking on amazon when i get the energy tho.

A:

·
Registered
150 Posts
i used u clamps that are used for exhausts, you just remove the clamp from the threaded bar then put nuts on, then the clamp, then put it in the spring clip and turn the nuts so the u clamp opens it up, worked but it is a pig to do.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies .
I did use the exhaust clamp method and it worked a treat to fair.T:
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Glad you completed the tricky clamps,
as requested earlier in the post, a pic..

??? This is tricky to upload images, hope it works or click the link.

Got mine on ebay for around £12

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: exhaust clamps - VAG VS1638 clamp tool

I tried the Sealey VS1638 spring clamp removal tool but without much success. The sliding shaft part of the tool was right at the end of it's travel before spring was open enough to fit over manifold - so much so that the roller pin that secures the M17 bolthead kept shearing & I had to put in a temporary split pin (which also sheared). I got the impression that the tool is intended for smaller exhaust clamps on cars and it's a bit overfaced by the van-sized clamps.
Also, when I did manage to get the clamp to open up enough to fit I couldn't loosen the VS1638 bolt to release the spring because it was so tight and access too restricted to get two hands in.
I ended up using a threaded G-clamp as a temporary fix and this has worked for the past couple of weeks but it's not great & I may have to bite the bullet and put it into the local VW Van Centre to get it done.
Lower down the thread - somebody mentioned a 'universal' type exhaust clamp: I've had a look on the net and can't see anything - could somebody give a model number/stockist?
By the way, I reckon the VS1638 tool would work ok for removing the old spring clamps in the 1st place but best of luck when you try to put them back on!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
When fitting my Custom 2.5" downpipe, ratchet strap on the clamp then other end to floor at the back of the ramp on the 4 poster. made sure the line was straight and down, not snagged on anything. Once pulled tight, pry bar against the clamp and whilst pushing get someone to release the ratchet strap

·
Registered
50 Posts
easy way to undo or refit these c clamps is with wedges. you undo your pipe at the first joint, then get under the van and push the pipe towards the door fit wedge, now let pipe back to centre remove clamp and wedge together. same the other side simples. but leave the wedges in the c clamps till your putting it all back together, you will find plans for the wedges on the net somewhere.T:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Love this forum, been at it all day trying to get the clamp on the left side of the manifold, just done it in five minutes with the U-clamp method.. Should've looked on here this mornin' before I started..

Cheers lads

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was lucky and did it at my mates garage. Cut a bolt and wedged it in so it stretched the clamp, (did this on the vice) slipped into place and burnt the bolts out with the welding plant. Took 10 mins to do both sides

1 - 18 of 18 Posts