VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
My 1992 2.0 petrol AAC has failed its test on emissions. I dont have access to an emissions tester so does anyone know of any tricks/methods of how to set emissions without the need for expensive equipment?
Thanks in advance
Nigel

·
Registered
416 Posts
1st think on the list would be a full service especially oil change & filter + air filter.
I'd say 9 out of 10 times this will fix most problems. ( From my son who is an MOT tester)
You could also try a petrol additive to clear things in that area.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fuel additive then a good blast and deliver it hot straight in to the test .Get them to test it right away ,no idling .Almost any old vehicle will fail if it is allowed to idle .If it doesnt pass then ,you have a problem .But never failed in my experience ,yet anyway .Maybe new plugs would help too as well as oil etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree about the engine service and Italian tune up leading up to the mot test been carried up.

The mot test already does require the engine to be up to working temperature, they won't/shouldn't be able to start the emissions test on a cold engine. They used to clip a temperature gauge into the dipstick tube, might do it a different way these days. Your printout will have the oil temperature recorded on it.

To clear the fumes from idling the emissions machine will not take a reading until the engine is rev'd up to the recommended rpm etc before each section of the test.

So it shouldn't matter if an engine is allowed to idle until warmed up prior to the mot test.

(Have you read about the sticker on the vehicle which denotes one of the emissions levels that it is tested against? Depending on the vehicle, it can be 'helped' to pass if this sticker is missing/unreadable.)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Surely, with this being a petrol vehicle, everything would be different? I have older petrol engined vehicles and their engine emissions requirements are pretty easy to meet and my vehicles pass with emissions that are a fraction of the maximum. I suspect there is something broken or bodged on the engine to cause it to fail such an easy test.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Surely, with this being a petrol vehicle, everything would be different? I have older petrol engined vehicles and their engine emissions requirements are pretty easy to meet and my vehicles pass with emissions that are a fraction of the maximum. I suspect there is something broken or bodged on the engine to cause it to fail such an easy test.
You probably look after your vehicle properly.
Most problems come from a vehicle that hasn't. Probably years before the current owner above.
My wife wouldn't get anything done on her car unless I did it. Many people just drive until the thing breaks down & then fix it. Then carry on again until the next break down. I fixed a neighbours car last year, a Peugeot she'd owned from new (18 years) & she hadn't even had the cambelt done in that time. It was hanging by a thread. The reason she brought it to me was the red battery light on the dash. Her auxiliary belt had snapped. We found remnants & the width had shrunk by a half. She hadn't even noticed the 1 inch of water under the back seats sloshing about. The oil filter rubber seal had disintegrated & the paper element was mostly missing, most of it in the rocker cover when we opened it up.
It passed the emissions. :LOL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts