VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to identify a problem with exhaust fumes in the cab.
This is more noticeable when stationary.

The van has now done 63k

I've had checks carried out on the exhaust and the engine management whick are A-OK.
I've just changed the pollen filter today which I'm told may have resolved the issue (it was rather dirty).

However, the fumes are still present when stationary but not so intense.

I have read that there are known issues with the exhaust manifold on T5's

Can anyone enlighten me further ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine had a similar issue less than a year after buying it (secondhand) from VW near Southampton. They said to bring it down and they would have a look, to cut a story short a new manifold and gasket fixed the issue. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi i am also getting exhaust fumes coming through the heating and in the cab. I had a smoke test done and it was leaking from the turbo to manifold so put a new gasket in and clamp and did a smoke test and the leaking stopped, so drove around for a week and now the fumes are back again. But i have also noticed that there are black soot marks on top of the heat shield near the airbox side and below the heat shield there are black carbon deposits charcoal type sitting there, does that mean my exhaust manifold or gasket is leaking? can anyone help plz?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi forum,

The fumes in the T5 van I'm pleased to say are now fixed.
The dealer had to replace turbo gasket, flange seal, flange gasket and front pipe seal to cure the problem.

So here is ze good news - parts were £12.69 + VAT.............................T:

But here iz ze bad news - parts are quite inaccessible, took main commercial dealer 3.5 hours to disassemble and reassemble at the princely sum of £227.50 + VAT. hsy:

Good job it wasn't the manifold/gasket too!!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I had this problem on my 2.5 too. 4 times, twice had broken studs in exhaust manifold, and twice the EGR cooler had blown due to too much boost on remap. Had it remapped again since and it's been coolio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts