VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
hi mij are making stainless stell manifolds, ive checked out there website and they offer the complete package, guna by one soon because the standard ones are usless.
Ive just phoned them asking for one- they still havnt made any yet, and will probably not be done for at least 5-6 months!!! If no one makes a decent one soon, it looks like its either weld the origonal one or by a new one from VW for me.:(

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
on another forum they had this topic and they said that because the turbo hangs from the manifold the stainless steel would crack where as the mild steel is abit more flexible:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was was originally told mij would have their one finished last summer but it never happened.

In the end i got a new manifold off my warranty direct policy and sent my old manifold off to PP tuning as a template and they are now able to produce a mild steel replacement for £280 delivered.

It was made in mild steel to allow more flex for expansion with temperature changes, as this is what seemed to crack the crappy VW one. Also the EGR pipe elbow has been removed which reduces the volume in the manifold and so speeds up turbo spool up.

If your manifold is leaking you will hear a ticking noise as you accelerate in a low gear at low revs, or you can stall the engine by closing the anti-shudder flap on the EGR housing (looks like a throttle valve) and as the engine stops you will see a puff of black smoke come up from the manifold area. The T5 manifold almost always leaks at the port nearest the air box first.

post 56 plate vans aren't affected as they have a cast iron manifold

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was was originally told mij would have their one finished last summer but it never happened.

In the end i got a new manifold off my warranty direct policy and sent my old manifold off to PP tuning as a template and they are now able to produce a mild steel replacement for £280 delivered.

It was made in mild steel to allow more flex for expansion with temperature changes, as this is what seemed to crack the crappy VW one. Also the EGR pipe elbow has been removed which reduces the volume in the manifold and so speeds up turbo spool up.

If your manifold is leaking you will hear a ticking noise as you accelerate in a low gear at low revs, or you can stall the engine by closing the anti-shudder flap on the EGR housing (looks like a throttle valve) and as the engine stops you will see a puff of black smoke come up from the manifold area. The T5 manifold almost always leaks at the port nearest the air box first.

post 56 plate vans aren't affected as they have a cast iron manifold
Phoned them also- they havnt got any ready until mid/late Jan. Bloke i spoke to sounds very knowledgable. He also said that he can make one in stainless if that is what you really want, but there is really no need + mild is more suited to the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.