VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've tried to outline all the relevant stuff regarding this ongoing problem...

1998 T4 1.9 TD ABL 170000 miles.

-New head at 163000 miles after major overheating event. Pistons and rings also replaced.

-New turbo at 168000 miles as it blew. New cam belt and water pump and refurbished fuel pump fitted. Head removed again and gasket replaced as signs of exhaust gas in coolant. EGR blanked off where it bolts to exhaust manifold, and EGR bits removed from fuel pump.

The problem: exhaust gases pressurising coolant so that some is lost and some blown out when expansion tank cap is undone to release pressure. It has done this since the new head was first fitted but is now worse. Coolant now very discoloured. Engine running well otherwise.

Questions: can this be caused by anything other than blowing head gasket? As I said it is a brand new head and the second new gasket to be fitted so I am doubting it can be the head. Could this be caused by a crack in the block somewhere? If so can this be diagnosed without stripping the engine?
Could these symptoms be caused by the way I blanked off the EGR valve?

Really hope someone can help here...

All the best

Lee

·
Registered
865 Posts
Stop wasting money as all the ABL i came in contact with had problems with overheating. Best solution is to buy a 1.9 tdi mk3 golf and swap the engine over. No more overheating issues, more power and also better fuel economy !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bit the bullet and took the head off- again- and this time took it to be tested for leaks and cracking etc. The guy said it was fine and took 6 thou off it anyway to make sure.
Meanwhile I'd noticed a lot of oil in the exhaust side of the turbo, which was new (reconditioned) 1000 miles ago. So i took that back to the shop i got it from and they said it was FUBAR due to oil starvation. The bearing was no more and the spindle well-worn.
So I have bought a new one, sigh. The guy advised me not to run the turbo until I'd sorted out the oil problem or it would end up as scrap very quickly. I wasn't aware I had a problem with oil pressure. The two sensors are relatively new and the oil light goes out when the engine starts. The pick up pipe for the turbo is not blocked.
My main question is, how can i check oil pressure? Is there a pressure gauge I can get? Should i just fit a new oil pump anyway?
Help please.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts