VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ...

Anyone know how the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) works ?

I've got the exhaust warning lamp on .

But also having ABS issues which plays with speedo and fuel gauge ...

I also had the engine management lamp on (little coil) ... A couple of months ago .

VW dealer said I could block a pipe (they showed me which one) .

This would disable the exhaust re burning facility ...

And stop the lamp .

They said the unit which performs the exhaust gas reuse would probably have developed a tear and would be expensive to replace .

Blocking would actually give the car better performance .

But would mean a less environmental exhaust fume .

Anone know if these issues and lamps are related ?

Cheers ...

·
Special Rapporteur
10,168 Posts
VW dealer said I could block a pipe (they showed me which one) .

This would disable the exhaust re burning facility ...

And stop the lamp .

They said the unit which performs the exhaust gas reuse would probably have developed a tear and would be expensive to replace .

Blocking would actually give the car better performance .
If this is what a dealer told you then I wouldn't take my van back there - it sounds like a garbled mix-up of the functions of the EGR valve and the DPF.

Blocking of the DPF won't give the vehicle better performance - quite the opposite. If you disable the process that burns accumulated soot in the DPF then eventually your van will stop running.

Blocking off the EGR valve won't give the van significantly better performance, but it will increase NOx levels in the exhaust gases and will stop DPF regeneration.

If the DPF warning light alone is on then it may just be (if it has recently only done short journeys) that it needs a long run, as described in the Owner's Manual. If that doesn't fix it then it may need a forced regen, or it may have a more fundamental problem. But if the EGR valve is faulty then regen probably won't be possible and your DPF will be getting more and more heavily soot loaded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts