VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 99 T4 2.5 LWB. The coil light was flashing and after reading every post on here for 2 days I started at the brake pedal switch. I have changed that today although it wasn't exactly the same (shorter plunger) and after some time I have managed to get the coil light to stop flashing.

I have checked the switch is working but I am still not getting any brake lights. I have checked they are the correct bulbs and checked the earths are ok. All other lights in rear cluster are working fine. The fuse is ok as well.

I have run out of ideas. I plugged vagcom in and it now reads "No codes" What am I doing wrong.

Any help will be much appreciated and I am willing to give you my misses if you help me fix it. W:

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You said the brake light switch is shorter, personally I'd get your multimeter out and check to see if the switch is actually operating when you press the pedal. Or you could remove the switch from the pedal box assy and manually press the switch and see if the lights come on.

Please send pics of the Mrs T:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mark, I have checked the switch works. I had a meter on it and from what I can gather its working great. Still no lights though.

All I can think is there is a break in the cable somewhere. No idea where they go and looking at this conversion I expect it will be a nightmare.

Sorry you haven't qualified for the misses and I wouldn't want to put you off your dinner with a picture LOL:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

With the brake switch it needs to be reset before you install it. You do this by gently pulling the plunger out as far as it goes. When you install it you need to press and hold down the pedal whilst you fit the switch. Then release the pedal. The switch should make a few clicks as the pedal comes up and should then work.

It took me a few goes to get it right when I took mine out to replace my pedal box.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Tony, I tried pulling the plunger out to start with but unlike the other one it is solid and wont be pulled out any further than it is.

I know the switch works ok. I'm wondering if the wrong bulbs are in there :confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Check you are getting 12V to the switch, then check 12 is going though the switch, finally take the lamps out and check to see if you are getting 12V there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok just did all that and Im getting 12v all the way through to the back.

I have checked the bulbs are working. Are the bulbs very specific to this van as they werent working when I had it on friday and Im wondering if the previous owner put wrong ones in.

Stumped now.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
So you are getting 12v at the connector at the lights when you depress the break pedal?
Are you seeing 12V with the meter connected to the earth on the connector or are you earthing to the body? Could be a bad earth?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm unearthing to the body Andy, is that the wrong way of doing it? I'm not great with electrics mate

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
That suggests it could be the earth that's the problem.

I thought (though they may not be) the earth is shared for all the rear lights, do your rear lights and brake lights work?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All other lights work fiine Andy. There seems to be one earth just to the side of each light cluster and that's what I'm using. My head is fried mate :*

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry just to say again, the brake lights sockets are getting 12v when pedal is pressed but simply won't light up when bulbs are in there. I appreciate you thinking this late in the day cheers

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
high level brake light? are they all original lights/bulbs or aftermarket? Where they working before you changed the switch?

I should add im not a qualified electrician or anything just a diy'er. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no high level light, only 2 lights either side. They haven't worked since I got it last Friday. I didn't realise that the flashing coil light was a warning of this. The coil light has now gone off. Before I changed the switch I run a Vagcom test and it picked up on the switch. Now I have changed it the code has cleared and the coil light has stopped flashing. Are you as confused as me yet

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
You legally need a high level brake light on all new cars after a 97 ish i think, isnt your's a 99 looking at your pics? Has it had a tailgate conversion or something and no new light put in? Someones messed with the wiring here perhaps? still dont see why the bulbs dont light though if you are getting the 12V at connectors!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea mate, thanks for your time tho. I'm gonna look into the legal side of it now and may have to do some alterations. Cheers mate T:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts