VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Here is my carpeted door panel, with extra storage pockets (every square cm counts right!)

I am carpeting my van at the moment, and was inspired by the Kiravans door store. I tried copying the Kiravans layout on my door panel, but it turned out to be flimsy and pretty rubish...
Mark two was with four squares sized to suit the sliding door and to be usable for bits n bobs...

To make it, i used 3.6mm ply. I used the original panel as a template, then marked out the squares.

The next bit was to make the carcass. The shape matches the inside of the sliding door (a trapezium shape - I work in a primary school and need to know these thingsI:).

This was then carpeted with a contrasting dark grey carpet (from MVM - the good old mega stretch)...

I didn't fix it in, just let the ply panel hold it in place...

And that's pretty much it... I am adding some 'handy pockets' to a couple of other panels (work in progress... we only get 6 weeks off for summerRasp:)

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any advise on doing a similar thing.

I am planning on doing a build thread, so watch this space. Thanks for looking
Waca

·
Special Rapporteur
9,510 Posts
Nice job - this is exactly what I was planning to do a few weeks before Kiravans bought out their door store thing. For smaller items it's better than the Kiravans one because things can't slide backwards and forwards when you brake.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tdy job! I was considering something similar in my main panel, but just never did it. Might add that to the job list and re do a smaller panel

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job - this is exactly what I was planning to do a few weeks before Kiravans bought out their door store thing. For smaller items it's better than the Kiravans one because things can't slide backwards and forwards when you brake.
Hopefully it will be ok when driving... I haven't given it a road test yet with bits in the pockets. I was thinking of adding an elastic strip to help hold things in place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tdy job! I was considering something similar in my main panel, but just never did it. Might add that to the job list and re do a smaller panel
I did cut holes in 2 other panels after they were carpeted. It's a bit of a pain but you can cut the carpet and peel it back, mask it off to hold it out the way, then jigsaw the hole. The carpet re-sticks and wraps around the new cut out no problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Inspired by your good work Waca, we had a go at this to store our table leg and give us some space for bits and bobs.T:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inspired by your good work Waca, we had a go at this to store our table leg and give us some space for bits and bobs.T:
Good work! Looks spot on. I don't have a table yet, but I'll need space for a leg eventually! I think I'll have a spot for one...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm sure you will have thought of it, but just make sure nothing catches on the paintwork of your pride and joy when you open the sliding door :eek:. I got away with it after some very careful measuring T:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That is the nuts T: extra storage space.
Super high standard there fella A:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sure you will have thought of it, but just make sure nothing catches on the paintwork of your pride and joy when you open the sliding door :eek:. I got away with it after some very careful measuring T:
I should be ok... unless the kids jam some big sharp things in there without me knowing:confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts