VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any fabricators that would be interested in making anything like the Rare-Spares handbrake extender at the botom of this page. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/Handbrake%20Extender.php
I'm sure people would be interested as i am but not at the £70 price tag offered. (If your the guy called Nigel on this page sorry)

Unless this has already been suggested or an altrnative possible:*

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
hi if you have one i would be interested in making them as we at autobeds have all engineering machines to do this thank mark T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Was kinda hoping to buy one with this thread Mark,

Shouldn't be that hard to make a pattern though should it, or is that just my chippy mind running away with itself. i would have thought if you measure the diameter of the handbrake handle at the smallest part that would allow for the clamp to work by say 150mm long. handle looks to have a pivot point just above the button with a stub so you can just push the handle forward which in turn pushes the button then lift the handle. Was thinking aswell it might benefit from a handle like the new s max handbrake that goes across from left to right (like a garden fork) as apposed to a handle that goes from front to back.

You could then go to the extreme and build a box for an arm rest and centre console like cars if you wanted.

I dunno just a thought!!

This time next year Rodney and all that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Heres one i made earlier, its a bit rough but it did the job, for a while ...... then i sold it on ebay for £40. I wanted driver swivel so handbrake extension had to go.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you cut the plastic back in the pics, or did you just take the handbrake handle off.

Think I'm going to follow your lead and make my own!!!

will let you all know how i get on and post pics!!!!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Any new developements on this thread? I am building a full length centre console and the bloody handbrake is a major fly in my ointment!

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not a great deal of interest buddy, wouldn't mind some pics of your full length console though???

Ava look at my first link!!!!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Pics will be up when she's finished. It's bare wood at the mo and has to be covered in black vinyl.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had a handbrake extension since my vehicle was new 10 years ago and I wouldn't be without it. In fact I dislike having to press a button when I drive other vehicles. We got it for my wife as she had trouble reaching the handbrake in the demo vehicle though she has only ever driven ours twice.

Don't realy know anything about it but if I can't get another extension I may have to fabricate one as my son wants one when we get him a T4 (which is proving more difficult than I thought it would be, pleasing him, me and our pocket :confused:)

Anyway I'd upload a photo of the one I have which, by the looks of it, would be easy to replicate, but there doesn't seem to be that facility on this forum, which is a shame :(.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyway I'd upload a photo of the one I have which, by the looks of it, would be easy to replicate, but there doesn't seem to be that facility on this forum, which is a shame :(.
Well I've found out that I can upload photos to an album then link to them so here's a photo of my handbrake extension.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I've got one of the Rare Spares ones on my Multivan and can vouch they are ace. Really liking some of the clever DIY ones on here too!T:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Well I've found out that I can upload photos to an album then link to them so here's a photo of my handbrake extension.

And that is a brilliant design, dead simple to adapt for what I was considering. Thanks for taking the time to post that. T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts