VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 140bhp, 2-litre LWB campervan - '10' reg, 24,000 miles on the clock, beautiful in all respects - except one.

It has the manual 6-speed gearbox, and the gear ratios are very high. For instance, at 70mph in 6th, the van is turning over at just under 2000 revs. The problem is that, in all the gears, if you press the accelerator at under 2000 revs, there's a harsh vibration, until it reaches 2000 revs, then it smooths out. You can feel it through the seat, the steering wheel, the body of the van. It's just like you've chosen the wrong gear by mistake, and should be two gears lower.

I understand this engine should pull smoothly from around 1500 revs, with maximum torque in a band up to 2200 revs. So why is it vibrating? Is there a problem in the drivetrain somewhere? Oh yes, it's a 4-Motion, but surely this should make no difference?

As it stands, if I'm being law-abiding, I can't use sixth gear! Is its just there for autobahn driving, at 75mph plus? It seems daft to be driving along in 5th at 70mph - and will hardly be economical!

I'd love to hear from others with manual T5 facelift vans - is my experience unusual?

Brom

·
Registered
489 Posts
6th should be useful and feel ok from around 50mph.... Does your van roll freely when on a slight hill? What mpg are you getting on average?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Get it looked at bud as above my 140 is lovely and smooth, and the gearbox is very impressive in all driving conditions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All - that's just what we wanted to know. Will get onto the garage first thing on Monday. As to the fuel consumption, we've only done three hundred miles and haven't done a brim-to-brim refill yet. However, the fuel gauge is only showing three-eighths of the tank used, which I can't believe -if it were telling the truth, on an 80-litre tank, it would be around 45mpg! (We don't have a trip computer). Mind, I also think the mileometer is over-reading a bit. I'll check on the mpg, and report back.

Thanks again.

Brom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Current situation - after some initial checks being carried out at our local VW dealers (good outfit - Hadwins of Lindale), the van has gone down to VW dealers local to the converter. The van did 34mpg brim-to-brim, despite my having to drive at an indicated 70+ all the way down. Only by doing so could I keep the revs high enough to avoid the vibration at 1500-2000revs and get any power - otherwise it feels as if it's carrying a mountain.

Early investigations seem to point to the Haldex 4WD system, or the propshaft, or possibly a doughnut between the two.

It clearly isn't a common problem with 4-Motion VW's, though I've found a chap in Switzerland with a 140bhp 4-Motion California with exactly the same symptoms - his van has just gone in for repair under warranty.

However, it seems to be more well-known on Audi TT's which have a similar Haldex system - there are lots more of them around after all. The audi-sport forum has a 4-page thread which is quite helpful.

We've been lent a van while ours is in dock, and we did 620 miles (taking ours down south, and back in the replacement) on Saturday, ending without discomfort. Not too many vehicles you could say that about! The replacement is a pre-facelift 130 LWB high-top manual, so very comparable to our own van. It pulled like a train from 50 in 6th, and was as sweet as a nut to drive. Hope ours can be repaired to do the same!

Will advise on developments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts