VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van has a factory fitted aux heater under the left front wing. I assume this is connected to the rear heater. My question is can this heater be wired to start so it does not need the main engine running? Using one of the blanks in the dash to start it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think it is connected to the rear heater, try a search on here. As far as I know, it's only intended to kick in at very, very low temp to keep engine at correct temp.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is your van a Caravelle?
mine is (just bought it) and has a heater as you descibe - Eberspacher D3 hydronic - I tried to find out more, been on Eberspacher website etc, and its very confusing - think it will heat up the engine, but can also provide cabin heating - my VW handbook says it should have a control panel on the dash to switch on and off and can be set to come on at a preset time - I've reached the limit of my understanding now - try going to the Eberspacher website to find your nearest service centre and go talk to them - I'm gonna do this soon - good luck

B

·
0 Posts
you can buy a kit that contains all the parts: new pump ( as the D3 relies on the engine water pump to circulate the water) wiring loom, timer and other bits to do just what your after Just over £200 from memory and is not an easy thing to fit.

But..................... this heater is designed to heat the coolant in the engine/heaters.
They take ages to warm up ! and i mean ages!

your better of fitting a separate diesel heater that blows hot are independently of the cooling system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is
your van a Caravelle?
mine is (just bought it) and has a heater as you descibe - Eberspacher D3 hydronic - I tried to find out more, been on Eberspacher website etc, and its very confusing - think it will heat up the engine, but can also provide cabin heating - my VW handbook says it should have a control panel on the dash to switch on and off and can be set to come on at a preset time - I've reached the limit of my understanding now - try going to the Eberspacher website to find your nearest service centre and go talk to them - I'm gonna do this soon - good luck
Mine is a kombi window van. I assumed the rear heater was connected to the aux heater. a seperate diesel heater may be the answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 57 T5 window van with an auxillory heater which has pipes connecting into the rear heater but the fan in the auxillory heater comes on when I unlock the vehicle and won't go off until I take the van out to get it to running temp., this has just started to happen, it stayed on for over 4 hours until I drove home. Does anyone have any ideas and is it useing diesel while the fan is running. HELP!...Lanyon

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 57 T5 window van with an auxillory heater which has pipes connecting into the rear heater but the fan in the auxillory heater comes on when I unlock the vehicle and won't go off until I take the van out to get it to running temp., this has just started to happen, it stayed on for over 4 hours until I drove home. Does anyone have any ideas and is it useing diesel while the fan is running. HELP!...Lanyon

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
You would be better off posting your own thread, as this thread is about a different problem and also about a T4, not T5...hope this will help get your problem sorted T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 57 plate caravelle the EBERSPACHER heater is now intermitenly sticking on i have to disconnect the battery or will drain it flat and it does not seem to keep the coolant warm anyway quite anoying

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the factory upgrade fitted on my caravelle a year ago, cost about £300, had to be modified a bit as the kit comes from germany and is designed for LHD, works great, has small timer control on dash and can be programed to come on anytime up to an hour before you use van, as i work nights i set it to fire up 45mins before i leave work, come out to warm van with all windows defrosted and clear! as it works on engine coolant it means van starts easily as its full of hot water. can also be set to run constant if your parked up in van! and will switch off if battery volts drop below 12v, so it wont flaten battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 57 T5 window van with an auxiliary heater which has pipes connecting into the rear heater but the fan in the auxiliary heater comes on when I unlock the vehicle and won't go off until I take the van out to get it to running temp., this has just started to happen, it stayed on for over 4 hours until I drove home. Does anyone have any ideas and is it using diesel while the fan is running. HELP!...Lanyon

This my problem on LWB High top ex Ambulance service passenger transport . 59 plate. No answer was shown. Any body else know how to stop this coming on when you don't want it? Have turned rear fan and temp to off and cold but still comes on.
Have to disconnect battery to stop it being flattened. It seems to still be factory fitted parts not a mod added latter.

Thanks Mark.
I am new here but cant see a T5 version of this 2012 message in T4 yet

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Best to disconnect the temperature sensor behind the bumper and connect a switch on the dashboard. That way you disable the automatic start of the heater and can let it run hot before you switch it off.
I removed mine and fitted a 5 Kw as a parking heater with remote.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your help Indian. What am I looking for behind Bumper and which side do you think here in UK. Nearside ? same as heater under passenger seat(but near road not seat). Is this where the auto control unit is? It comes on even when it not cold . When I stop the van sometimes? Would be good to change faulty part if not too expensive? assume it could be a faulty wire connection , a sensor or the control unit. Can you point me to any info on where these are and what they look like? Mine is an 20085 plate 2.5 six speed and 130 T3.2 if that makes any difference. It was very slow to warm up in winter so wondering if this is part of the normal heat up process from the time the engine is started noting that I had battery disconnected before starting to save a flat battery.
Thanks for any help including anyone else that been there before.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
The sensor is behind the bumper on the drivers side in UK models. Just 2 wires connect the sensor. When the Eberspächer starts, its best to run it very hot before switching off. On automatic, it will never get a chance to get hot and soot builds up in the combustion chamber.
The control unit is at one end of the heater and very expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts