VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a T30 with the factory fitted leisure battery under the passenger seat. I don’t know much about the setup. Presumably there is a factory fitted split charge system in place? Am I safe to connect a charger to the battery (maybe a fast charger that charges at 14.4v?) without blowing up the van electrics?

I’m looking to expand the setup to include battery charging from the mains and 240v sockets fed either from the mains or an inverter. It would also be nice to add solar charging at a later stage when I can afford to put the panels on the roof. I particularly want a ‘smart’ multi-stage battery charger rather than a normal float one. I have seen a few units on eBay that seem to do all of this but they are big and expensive and handle more power than I need (1600w +). Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with doing this on a smaller scale?

By the way, I have got a small (but big enough) 600w inverter and a 4-stage battery charger that I could use and I have drawn up a wiring diagram to put them all together. It necessitates manual switches though (e.g. switch to go from mains 240v to battery/inverter) and I haven’t worked out how to integrate a solar regulator yet. I’m drawn towards the ‘all in one’ box because it seems more straightforward and is automatic. I’m not keen on ‘Zig’ and the other caravan units though.

Sorry, I know this has been discussed before but I’ve been reading the forums over and over and going around in circles!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just been looking at CtEK chargers myself. The MXS7 and above have a power supply mode as well as the smart charging features. Might suit you too?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted this a while back but didn't get much respond so I'm having another go.

Basically my van came with the second battery and split charge system already installed so to complete my setup I need to add mains charging, solar charging and a small inverter.

Are there any devices that do this all in one box suitable for one of our vans?

So far I've managed to find UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) that keep a battery charged from the mains then switch to an inverter when mains is disconnected. They are designed to be left permanently connected to the mains though so I'm wondering whether that will work in a van when most of the time it's not connected to the mains? I'm also worried about current draw on standby - though I suppose I could just have a switch to turn it off when not in use.

I've also found things like the Sterling Pro Combi Q which seem to do what I want but are big expensive but of kit that are over the top (1600w) for what I am doing. I probably only need 6-800w (I don't need hair straighteners, hairdryers, microwaves, xboxes etc).

What have other people tried?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have the same set up. The split charge relay cuts out when engine is not running so your safe to charge it via 240v. I use a Victron energy smart charger. Solar about to be installed through a victron regulator. Pm me for my mobile number if you want to talk it through.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just came across this thread with interest as it is exactly the same question I have. Currently have a factory fitted split relay and leisure battery under pass seat in my Kombi T5 and want to add solar, charger and 230v MCU. Trying to work out the most efficient and cost effective way of doing this. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts