VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2005 t5 kombi. Factory fitted leisure battery under the single passenger seat. Want to fit a RIB swivel plate. From a quick measure i can see the mbattery terminals are just above the top, so there will be a clash.

What have people done to avoid this. I can see my options as:

a. booster plates below the swivel. This will raise the seat height
b. cut out the battery tray in the seat base to lower the battery. Fabricate new battery mount

Any other options? What have other done?
Any help much appreciated.

·
Custom Vans
1,179 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2005 t5 kombi. Factory fitted leisure battery under the single passenger seat. Want to fit a RIB swivel plate. From a quick measure i can see the mbattery terminals are just above the top, so there will be a clash.

What have people done to avoid this. I can see my options as:

a. booster plates below the swivel. This will raise the seat height
b. cut out the battery tray in the seat base to lower the battery. Fabricate new battery mount

Any other options? What have other done?
Any help much appreciated.
We fit the drivers side booster plates and do a hand brake mod on the drivers side.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's interesting because the battery on my 2008 Kombi sits below the top of the passenger seat base.

Maybe you have a taller battery installed? Have you thought about fitting a different sized battery instead?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats interesting. Take it yours is factory fit? Mine is still the varta one so assume original. Don't suppose you know how tall your battery is? Mine 190mm

I think after consideration i am going to do just that. Found a 75 amp hour battery thats 175mm tall. 75 will be enough for me as i mainly use hook up and dont have much of a draw.

Do you have a swivel on top of yours?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My battery is 175mm high and it's an 80Ah. I always assumed mine is original because it has a VW style part number on the top but I don't know for sure. I have the factory fitted swivel seat. It seems unlikely but I wonder if they fitted smaller batteries for vans with the swivel seat?

I was thinking that if I rearrange the wiring there will be enough space under there for a wider 100Ah battery of the same height if such a thing exists but there are so many different batteries to choose from it's a minefield. If you manage to find one let me know!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Alternatively have a look at the sportscrafter swivel supplied by Jennings. They do a reversed pivot to clear the battery. I have the same 190mm battery as you and the same protrusion above the seat base on. 56 plate. Have received the swivel and hope to fit this weekend if you want to wait for the outcome?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alternatively have a look at the sportscrafter swivel supplied by Jennings. They do a reversed pivot to clear the battery. I have the same 190mm battery as you and the same protrusion above the seat base on. 56 plate. Have received the swivel and hope to fit this weekend if you want to wait for the outcome?
Thanks mate. I have a rib on the drivers side and really like. Good and robust and no rattles. Be keen to hear how you get on thought. I measured my battery tonight and it's 190mm too. Thinking of getting something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOW-HEIGH...859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec93cf0e3

·
Registered
235 Posts
My battery is 175mm high and it's an 80Ah. I always assumed mine is original because it has a VW style part number on the top but I don't know for sure. I have the factory fitted swivel seat. It seems unlikely but I wonder if they fitted smaller batteries for vans with the swivel seat?

I was thinking that if I rearrange the wiring there will be enough space under there for a wider 100Ah battery of the same height if such a thing exists but there are so many different batteries to choose from it's a minefield. If you manage to find one let me know!

I think you have hit the nail on the head, factory swivels with a 175mm battery. Just fitted the sports craft passenger swivel and whilst it clears my 190mm battery (I think, not easy to see or test but the insulating cover over the battery is moving up and down with the swivel in place when I push and pull it so I think it is clear. ) I can see through the centre hole of the swivel base that there is no way I am going to get the cable for the heated seat through the hole to connect it. So it looks like I will still have to buy the lower height battery as well. More moneyI:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having now resolved this (175mm high battery), I went to order the swivel from kiravans and its bloody sold out. New stock not expected until end of May.

Anybody know of a decent alternative supplier? From a look on the internet options are extremely limited.

Here is the battery I bought. I will post pictures once fitted. Interest that this is smaller than the factory battery, but with 20 more amp hours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360581780176?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Registered
437 Posts
We have 2 of those batteries fitted and they have been great, no issues whatsoever. We have them fitted under sportscraft swivels, old style model where the nut is on the top of the swivel plate so it does not interfere with the battery height.

Good Luck!

xx

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to round this off. I fitted my low height leisure battery. Smaller than the original but more claimed capacity.

I found the battery base needed a small bit of fettling to get the battery to sit flat. Nothing major. Also got some different style battery terminal clamps on order, as i found the clamping nut was the tallest part.

Will keep looking for a RIB swivel supplier, as Kiravan have sold out (gutted). If it fits, ill let you all know.

While i had the seat off i decided to swap the split charge relay. Mostly because i wanted to facility to charge the cranking battery when i was on hook up. I used one of these:

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victr...sitive-relay-battery-combiner-1224v-120a.html
I usually buy all my stuff from Travel Volts, but this website was cheaper and delivered very quickly.

Still got to mount it and might wire up the start assist, but you get the idea:

Seems to work very well indeed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts