VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help / guidance please.

Basically, I converted my van a couple of years ago including adding a skylight (I might get some hate for this!) however two weeks ago I felt a wet patch on the wall and traced it up to the skylight. Do not use Stixall! Suffice to say I've now replaced the skylight and resealed it properly (W4 Mastic, Sika 512) However, due to the leak I've decided I better strip out all the insulation on the ceiling just in case. Thank goodness I did, because I have found absolutely vast amounts of wet and dampness even beyond the site of the leak. Literally behind every Celotex panel. Furthermore, it extends to the roof supports/joists where I stuffed recycled bottle insulation. I've been tugging these out with tweezers and they're soaked AND alarmingly also rust colored. There's no way I can access those areas to apply some sort of rust treatment which is frustrating to say the least.

The only thing I can do is reinsulate it and do it RIGHT. I suspect that part of the reason that there was so much damp is because I hadn't bonded the celotex on particularly great which allowed damp to form between the panels and the metal ceiling. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

In terms of reinsulating, can anyone make any suggestions? I want to steer clear of celotex panels and I'm considering either sheeps wool (I'm concerned damp will find it's way back up to the metal however) or spray foam done professionally. I really need to get this right however as due to the amount of rust that's already taken hold I suspect I'll be dealing with a massive welding job or a scrap vehicle.

Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,962 Posts
I used marine insulation.....
Sticky backed foam sheets (20mm thick) with a silver aluminium foil fronting.
Designed for boats....so doesn't absorb ANY water.
Lined the roof and the sides with it.
Sorry, can't give you a link as I bought it in Norway....and NO idea what it is called!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts