VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it difficult to fit new springs? and how much do you think i should be paying to fit them at my local garage. A bit razzed off that they have broke again, but cant remember how much i paid last time, it was a few years ago. cheers also it needs new rear brake pads, same question, thanks.

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) If you can hold a spanner, can remember lefty loosey righty tighty, have a high lift jack and axle stands, and a little confidence you can change them yourself T:

I put two spacers above my upper spring locator pads (spring out fit spacer spring back in) on both sides in 20mins, a garage on ramps should do them both in half an hour allowing time to undo lower shock bolts that have not been undone in an age LOL:

I don't think the pads are difficult but i've not done mine yet :(

Chris

·
Registered
209 Posts
There the most easy thing to do on the van u just need a jack and a 16mm spanner

Jack up on the jacking Point till the wheel come off the ground the undo the lower shock mount and the pull out the old spring and put the new one in the bolt the shock bak up and that's it really

·
Registered
197 Posts
just had mine changed, my garage owed me a favor so they fitted them for me, if you have a lift and air socket set its a 10min job, prob more like an hour on your drive though!

I have one OEM spring for sale if you want it £8, that way you only replace the busted one! let me know if you want it T:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm a novice at all things mechanical - with a pointer of a mate, a jack and a spanner changed both my rear springs as said above in 30 minutes. Really is dead easy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the trouble is this guy who i dont know (friend of a friend) took the van for its mot and did not give me the fail sheets,and i think he is expecting to get the work, i would have had a go myself as i am actually a mechy fitter, ive just never done springs. cheers again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts