VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately where I live has very narrow streets, and I've managed to scrape the side of my van quite badly on a metal post :rolleyes::cry:.

Pics below, just wondering what you guys would do? Is it worth getting it repaired professionally (and possible under insurance as I have fully comp) - or better to try some home fixes first - and what would you recommend if so. Apart from feeling like an idiot for doing it, atm I'm just grateful it hasn't affected the sliding door. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
No home fix is ever going to sort that properly. Time to call around to a few local bodyshops and get some quotes. And make sure its not just going to get a load of filler whacked in and painted over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No home fix is ever going to sort that properly. Time to call around to a few local bodyshops and get some quotes. And make sure its not just going to get a load of filler whacked in and painted over.
Thanks - at least I can rule that out quickly. Apart from cosmetically, is there a structural reason to get it fixed? I'm guessing it could be bad for rust?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks - at least I can rule that out quickly. Apart from cosmetically, is there a structural reason to get it fixed? I'm guessing it could be bad for rust?
If the door works ok, there is no structural reason to fix it. You would need to act quickly to prevent rust and seal it to prevent water ingress, but if you don’t mind the sight of it, you could use seam sealant and paint. I would guess it will cost a fair few hundred otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the door works ok, there is no structural reason to fix it. You would need to act quickly to prevent rust and seal it to prevent water ingress, but if you don’t mind the sight of it, you could use seam sealant and paint. I would guess it will cost a fair few hundred otherwise.
Thanks - it happened last week - am I already too late?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks - it happened last week - am I already too late?
Probably not. Just gets some rust neutraliser on it (phosphoric acid) to treat any surface rust that may have appeared and get some primer paint on it asap. You will need to cover the primer fairly quick too, but rattle cans will do a quick and dirty protection job. It won’t be pretty......

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm no mechanic or bodywork expert but personally I'd be investigating how I could begin slowly and carefully tapping it back into some sort of shape. Reckon there's plenty of instructional videos can be found on Youtube for instance. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would these do the trick:

Then:

Then primer?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Would these do the trick:

Then:

Then primer?
To be honest, I don’t know. I would be wary of using household items in case they are different. Especially the seam sealer, as it needs to be weather proof. I would go to a motor factor for both. The rust treatment of phosphoric acid is the only one I have used. It does not remove the rust but turns it from ferric oxide to ferric phosphate, stopping the oxidisation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts