VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning for a 3 weeks vacation with family in the UK and France this year. Suggestions are welcome on budget travel, hotel booking, attractions, best time to travel and the best routes available. Do the main tourist sites remain too much crowded in summer? Pls. advise.

·
Registered
253 Posts
try not to go to france in aug its the french hols it mad, we find the local municipal sites are really clean and good value. where abouts in france are you thinking of travelling to

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Don't go anywhere near disney land paris.... I've never been so dissapointed in all my life and the expence .................. don't even get me started on that one.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I'd skip the south coast....too busy, too far, too expensive....west coast is nice.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Come to north wales bud T:T: easy to get to, A55 runs right along north wales, base yourself near the 55 then go for trips out in to the countryside and snowdonia, if your brave try climbing snowdon T:
Pop over to anglesey, stunning beachs and none over crowded.
Welsh mountain Zoo is great day out but can get crowded when schools out.
Could go on for hours but north wales is good place to visit T:

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
West Coast gets a thumbs up from me, espescially St Gilles Croix de Vie, but the full coast from La rochelle, stunning place, right the way up.

The South is also stunning, Beziers is a great place with great beaches on one side and gorgeous countryside the rest of the way around. Plenty to do all the way from Perpignan up to Mille and inland a bit too.

Haven't decided where we're going yet but it may be near lake verdon

·
Registered
552 Posts
did normandy the last 2 years, cheapie ferry from dover and camped on a tidy site near houlgate, toured from there, its lovelyT:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Come to north wales bud T:T: easy to get to, A55 runs right along north wales, base yourself near the 55 then go for trips out in to the countryside and snowdonia, if your brave try climbing snowdon T:
Pop over to anglesey, stunning beachs and none over crowded.
Welsh mountain Zoo is great day out but can get crowded when schools out.
Could go on for hours but north wales is good place to visit T:
North Wales Is simply Stunning. My Grandad had a caravan in Pwllheli for 45 years untill he sadly passed away. Some of the beaches around there are absolutely breath taking. Excuse the picture of of my old car but just look at the veiw in the background, its like that everywhere in North Wales.

·
Registered
251 Posts
T:we are off to the south canet on the med side ,then when its to hot up into the andorra in the mountians tax free haven

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you are going to do France skip Paris as its cheaper to do a weekend break and head to Le mans as its really pretty and full of museums and history, below is a link to the 24hr campsite (not on the circuit) with hot showers a pool, cheap restuarant and English speaking (even serves pints) job done.

we go to Fraance every year and always stop here its Lush

http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/camping-le-chateau-de-chanteloup-id253-id_camping9.html

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
Use Norfolk Lines from Dover for the cheapest fares, if you cross at 2am then you pay £25 each way. We're travelling at 10am and returning around 4pm two weeks later, got it all for £120 compared to £600 from Portsmouth.

We're camping at Beaulieu sur Dordogne for a week, lovely campsite right on the river and on an island too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
North Wales Is simply Stunning. My Grandad had a caravan in Pwllheli for 45 years untill he sadly passed away. Some of the beaches around there are absolutely breath taking. Excuse the picture of of my old car but just look at the veiw in the background, its like that everywhere in North Wales.
one of the best looking cars bmw ever made i think e30 T:T:

·
Registered
585 Posts
couldnt have put it better myself T:T: lovely Bm :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot guys! I'm just overwhelmed to get so many responses in a day! So, from the above views, I think I should move to the Northern part of France. Wouldn't mind going for camping holidays in Normandy. Alternatively, North Wales too seems quite impressive. What do you say guys?T:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Normandy and Brittany are both lovey places but weather is a bit like the uk, hit and miss. we done Brittany last year just south of St Malo..stunning. Our personal favourite is the Loire Valley amazing place, normally stop at a site near Le Mans in the grounds of a Chateau over night on the way down. Can recommend sites if you want or look at www.ukcampsite.co.uk yhis is the best website we have found for campsites never had a bad one of there, they also include sites in franceT:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Woofer,
Thanks for the lovely info., particularly about Brittany and the Loire Valley. The website you recommended is truly amazing....it is full of information about the campsites. Would also like to have some info. on the ferry routes to this region and the current offers thereon too.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
We love Brittany, in particular the Gulf of Morbihan in Southern Brittany. Famous for the beaches and great sea, sailing etc. Plenty of safe swimming beaches, windsurfing, kite surfing, the lot. Also history (revolution and resistance and WW2) and pre-history (standing stones).

I've got some pics on my website - http://www.getliff.net/Getliff_Family/France/France.html

We;ve been going there for years for the interesting weather - can be scorching but can be wet; a bit like the UK I: , but great friendly people and excellent seafood.

I can recommend a great camp site in Carnac if needed.

Bonus is that there aren't any toll roads in Birttany, but if coming from the tunnel or Calais you will use some to get as far as St Malo.

Adam

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Lol Cheers lads, BMW E30 = Ubber cool :cool:
Its just ashame they rot like a pear:(
I'd stil have another one though anyday, ive not had any car since that matches they way any of my old 325's drove. I had a Delphin grey 325i sport too sitting on azevs once upon a time. They drive second to none :ILU:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Woofer,
Thanks for the lovely info., particularly about Brittany and the Loire Valley. The website you recommended is truly amazing....it is full of information about the campsites. Would also like to have some info. on the ferry routes to this region and the current offers thereon too.
we tend to go dover / calais route as its the cheapest, normally around £90 rtn if you play with the times on line

1 - 20 of 20 Posts