VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I’m hoping for some advice. We are a family of 4 consisting of my wife and I and two small children 2 & 4…. And a small/medium sized dog.
Will a lwb T4 or T5 be suitable for a couple of days away walking in the Lake District and day trips to the beach? I’ve only got a budget of around 10k although I don’t think I need a fully fledged camper perhaps a van that I can put a rock n roll bed in and put the children will in the drivers cab on those make shift fabric bunk beds… I don’t know.
Let me know you thoughts and if it’s doable.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Guys
I’m hoping for some advice. We are a family of 4 consisting of my wife and I and two small children 2 & 4…. And a small/medium sized dog.
Will a lwb T4 or T5 be suitable for a couple of days away walking in the Lake District and day trips to the beach? I’ve only got a budget of around 10k although I don’t think I need a fully fledged camper perhaps a van that I can put a rock n roll bed in and put the children will in the drivers cab on those make shift fabric bunk beds… I don’t know.
Let me know you thoughts and if it’s doable.
Thanks guys.
Depends how old kids are ? For that you could find a decent T4 with pop top and out at least one up there ?
We have that set up only one child though.
100% doable, welcome by the way

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and replies. It’s put my mind at rest. Looks like a T4 is more realistic for the money to have. Now I need to wait for a decent one.
looks like the 1.9 diesel is the engine to go for?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, welcome!

I would say T4 (or older, unconverted T5?) either ideally with a pop top or , if not, get a pop top fitted ( Factor in between £1.8 to 3K )

The extra height for changing ( plus additional sleeping space for your little ones ) is completely transformative as I've found since having one fitted

I wouldn't be too hung up on LWB. We had a LWB T5.1 Caravelle for a year, felt roomy with the extra 400mm but no big deal.

Took up more room on the drive! Got a SWB T5.1 now, don't miss the extra length, easier to park too.

As you say, look for possibly more of a day van for your lifestyle?

No furniture / kitchen and a full width R&R to rear.

Don't bother with a leisure battery set up unless you are going to add a diesel heater.

"Jackery" or similar portable power pack is the way to go with a small "Indel" or "Dometic" type compressor fridge plus a gas stove for snacks / brews / charging etc

Maybe a small awning or event shelter for the dog and cooking and chilling out at sites

I guess just see what's available! You can always post a prospective one on here for comments and advice.

Hope a nice one turns up , come back and show us some pics! (y)

I still miss my old T4 :cry: With hindsight I maybe should have kept it and fitted a pop top.....before I fell into the T5.1 money pit.

Time to leave the T4 section and join the T5 section!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Forgot to say, and I know it's sounds so obvious, but always go to view the van with the usual checks etc etc. Still loads of scammers out there, especially eBay.

"Selling for a friend / work on an oil rig / forces / abroad. Mobile number only . Live in the Shetlands or somewhere obscure and miles away . Contact me outside of eBay. Will deliver it to you...."

My workmate, one of the cleverest people I know, got scammed for a T4 supposedly in Scotland. Never existed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and replies. It’s put my mind at rest. Looks like a T4 is more realistic for the money to have. Now I need to wait for a decent one.
looks like the 1.9 diesel is the engine to go for?
That’s what we have what’s the rush I say as yea slow , especially up hills 😂but it’s a fun vehicle so enjoy the ride . Solid engine. 👍

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love the T4's especially the early ones, mines a 1992 and there's no airbags engine management and there's no rev counter just a clock in place and winding windows and they are so strait forward to work on and I'm no mechanic 👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts