VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been a couple of recent 'Fan' related questions but I can't find what's wrong with mine...I've just changed the 'thermo-switch'(?) - grey plastic, 28mm thread, 3 pinned plug that bolts near the rad.

Does anyone think that my fans aren't comin on due to the fact my temperature gauge aint workin?? Are they linked? Personally I'm like a monkey with a machine-gun when it comes to mechanics/electrics but logic tells me it might be linked.

Ideas/help all gratefully received guys.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked number 19 fuse as someone suggested on here mate, but I have no idea what or where the relay is though.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine cooling fan isn't working after changing that temperature switch. Temperature gauge neither.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read somewhere that the (engine cooling) fan fuse is located somewhere behind the nearside headlight, any truth in this anyone?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi
There are two fuses for the fans in a black plastic box in frount of the battery you will need to undo bolt that holds battery in place you can then lift box up to access the fuses 45or 50 amp you can also check fans by removing the plug that is connected to the rad switch there are 3 wires connected to the plug one should be live 12 v if you have 12v you can link this with the other two in turn and each fan should run hope this is of help

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
There are two fuses for the fans in a black plastic box in frount of the battery you will need to undo bolt that holds battery in place you can then lift box up to access the fuses 45or 50 amp you can also check fans by removing the plug that is connected to the rad switch there are 3 wires connected to the plug one should be live 12 v if you have 12v you can link this with the other two in turn and each fan should run hope this is of help
Ah, ok...so the fuse box for them is just in front of the battery? Cool I had a quick look before it started rainin and couldn't see anything. I'll undo the battery bolt this time.
I (well, a mate) checked the fans by bypassing something and they both work ok, just not when they're supposed to!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi,

Me to....I'm having the same problem on 1993 2.5 Petrol Velle.

I had to change the water flange as it was cracked, but also ended up changing the 2 sensors (temp senders - 1x 2 pin and a 1x 4 pin (which is now different from original part)):confused::confused:.
Checked fuses, No19 and front of vehicle (which were broken - strip fuses) and got them replaced via GSF - 30p each I think. I have also checked the fans which work fine via a direct feed to the battery.

Just replaced the thermostat (£12.50 from local motor factor) as I removed it after I noticed the bottom pipe from rad is cold (and still is) whilst the top pipe is hot.

Now, the only bits could be affecting this could be the:

Water Pump??
or
Thermo Switch (on rad - which has been taken out and cleaned)
or
Fan Module Relay (black box left of strip fuses in engine bay).
or
could it be something else???

Please help us.....losing patients!!:(:(

Chalky

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, 'Fan Module Relay' is that what that is?

Well, I've just changed the 50A fuse in the little black box by the pollen filter, still nothing!!

Someone must have an idea about this.

I mentioned earlier on in this thread that my temp gauge isn't working either...could the two be connected????

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi 1-star and all,

I mentioned earlier on in this thread that my temp gauge isn't working either...could the two be connected????
Remove your instrument panel and check the circuit board, especially top right above clock or rev counter. There should be 6 pins from a little actuator, if cracked then remove actuator and re-soldier. Should fix it.

I haven't changed my Fan Module Relay yet. I did wire it up to a multimetre but don’t know how to work one A:.
GSF don’t sell the Fan Module Relay and am not willing to get a second hand one, unless the seller knows it works.

On Monday I'm getting a friend with VAGCOM to come round investigate the Velle, I have already got the 2 x 2 pin adaptor, so hopefully I will have some news and will let you know if anything is found :confused::confused:

Chalky

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi 1-star and all,

Remove your instrument panel and check the circuit board, especially top right above clock or rev counter. There should be 6 pins from a little actuator, if cracked then remove actuator and re-soldier. Should fix it.

Someone sent me the 'How-to' for this, but is it a pain in the ar$e to do, or easy enough?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi,

Yes, very easy and I'm no expert, you may have to remove some additional surrounding dash plastics. And as long as you have a soldiering you should have this done within 40 mins max (extract and re-install).

I got my fans working today....A:A::D:D. As mentioned before when I brought a new temp sender from GSF I noticed that the new part was green and had a nipple on it (but GSF said it would be fine :confused::confused:), hence why the Velle was warming up quicker than normal, and the thermo switch (on rad) was not reaching the temp required to the fans on. Any way, I thought that I might just put the old one in (no nipple and blue), re-filled with water and coolant, started Velle and 20-25 mins later @ idle the fans kicked in H: and the temp was normal and not gauge was as per it should be H:H: .

So, what have I learnt: check fuses (2 areas - dashboard and strip fuses in engine bay L/H near main light), check dash board circuit (top right area are not cracked) and ensure if you change the temp sender (on water flange) get the correct part if not fit the old one if not faulty.

Chalky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts