VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One too many Jamex spring questions, so its time for a FAQ section. I have got to go out but will have a think what to put here and all suggestions are welcome. I will update the first post as i think of things and suggestions are made, links to relavent threads would also be really good T:T:T:

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and lets keep this thread for T4's eh T:T:T:T:

1 - Are a certain brand of springs beginning with 'J' any good? In short no they are not unless you have a empty van all the time. There are plenty of other very reasonable makes which are much better and not a lot more ££.

2 - My 1.9td crank is wobbling around should i worry about it? 100% Yes! You need to get it looked at before the woodruff key shears on the sprocket and causes major damage.

2 - Will these alloy wheels fit? There is no definative answer to this but a general rule of thumb is most things can be made to fit so long as the PCD (pitch circle diameter) is 5x112. If in doubt and you dont find the answers post away!

3 - Which engine is best? Depends on what you are using the van for. If you need loads of torque for towing the 2.5tdi is best otherwise the 1.9td/d and 2.4d are all very capable. 1.9td is very tunable and easy to maintain and the 2.4d can have a low pressure turbo added to get some more bhp. The 1.9d is not tunable.

4 - Can i fit a 1.9tdi engine to my TD van? YES! Loads of us have done it and you can use any 1Z/AHU/AFN code engine but try to get a complete donor vehicle with the engine mounted across the engine bay otherwise you will have to fabricate engine mounts. Read the threads in the TDi conversion database before considering taking the job on.

5 - On my T4 the central air vents only chuck out cold air not hot!!! Is this normal? This is normal, don't panic they are not broken, only vans with air conditioning use the centre vents for heat. Believe it or not its a feature and a useful one at that.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You need to add:

Q - On my T4 the central air vents only chuck out cold air not hot!!!

A - This is normal, don't panic they are not broken :D

I:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to add:

Q - On my T4 the central air vents only chuck out cold air not hot!!!

A - This is normal, don't panic they are not broken :D

I:
Nice one mate T:T:T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes me laugh that the only input i have had is from a 5.1 owner (nice one Daskx). Obviously you lot think this is a bad idea then? Lets get some more suggestions going, dont be shy!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know much about the petrol options so I can't comment. Feel free to post anything that may be of use though T: good work people, keep the q&'s coming and I will update the page later T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure J4mex will be thrilled with that LOL:
Just done a minor edit as per the naming and shaming rule, well spotted bud T:T:T:

·
Registered
339 Posts
hello jimmy, i've been reading a few posts on the crank pulley, and it sounds quite scary, as i said i,m new to all this and certainly no mechanic, when i got my van the first thing i done was have a full service including a cambelt change, i have no strange noises knocks or bangs when ticking over or when driving,infact it sounds great, if this problem was to arise what would i notice, i really am a worrier and after reading this its now on my mind, for what it costs is it worth having the crank pulley and bolt changed anyway, or is this being over the top, as if theres no problems is it pointless doing, are there owners out there who have racked up the miles without this problem, i have a 2000 1.9 td with 59k on the clock, sorry if i sound daft , gaz T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Makes perfect sense to do what you have done already and the likelyhood is that the garage who did your cambelt (if they are any good) would have checked it anyway. You will know its happening when you get inconsistency in how the engine runs and starts at all temperatures. Its difficult to see the wobble on the crank sprocket but if there is a problem you will see a ghost image which is the vibration as you look at the edge. Hope this helps T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
339 Posts
cheers jimmy, so if theres no strange noises and everythings running fine then i'll take it as ok, i suppoise it would seem a little daft to do unessacary work, the only thing we have noticed is a strange creak from the front when pulling away, it only happens about twice a month im thinking it could be the clutch as its the original and its on 59k, i think the crank and bolt may have worried me for nothing, sometimes you seem to look for faults when you should just enjoy your van, cheers ,gary:ILU:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts