VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really want to screw it down as the floor was full of rusty screw holes already. I am thinking no nails or similar? What do you recommend?

·
Registered
187 Posts
try to get some sikaflex, or at least the adhexive that flexes when it is set. Cant remember what it is called but you can get a tube of it for a tenner from DIY shops. Used this on mine with no probs and reckon this stuff is better than no more nails as it will flex rather than crack when it moves (which it will)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sikaflex? Ok I'll be having a look. I assume you just put a few blobs down in the corners and elsewhere?

Cheers!

·
Registered
450 Posts
another vote for Sikaflex. It's designed to glue bit to cars and boats. Once on it won't be coming off tho.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
or glue underfloor insulation foam (I did two layers) to the underside of your ply, then glue the "sandwich" to the floor (foam side down, of course!)

I dont really think battens on the floor are necessary - not much heat will be lost downwards and you are only eating up precious headroom...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
or glue underfloor insulation foam (I did two layers) to the underside of your ply, then glue the "sandwich" to the floor (foam side down, of course!)
what did you glue with, pva or similar? was it the type of insulation you use with laminate flooring?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
what did you glue with, pva or similar? was it the type of insulation you use with laminate flooring?
I used vinyl flooring glue (water based) from B&Q - really tacky once part cured - then you just lie the foam down and walk all over it. Jobs a good'un :)

I beleive I got foam from screwfix - I just went with cheapest. Its a kind of light green, 5-10mm thick and fairly firm, clearly because its meant for under a floor! dense cells anyway, and easy to cut into strips and glue down I think I got an 18m2 roll.

T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
most people use 25mm roofing battens with 25mm kingspan insualtion in between for their floors. I have just insulated mine with an accoustic insulation. The advantage of this is that the local idiots can't hear your install so much. (Keeps music noise in) and when youv'e got a headache and want the peace it keeps the road noise out. I have filled everywhere including stuffing the pillars full. makes quite a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts