VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well it all started like I imagine a lot of engine conversions start, the old engine died. We debated replacing or repairing the original AJT engine but in the end we chose something a little bit more modern.

Enter the ASZ engine courtesy of Seat Alhambra from our local breakers yard Haynes of Challow near wantage. After a morning in the sunshine and very dirty hands, finally manage to huff it into the back of my Peugeot Partner.

More to come

Premium Member
Welcome aboard Chris, interesting to see how this progresses 馃憤 Make sure to post some photo's of the T4 itself.
Possibly a daft question, but what does the PD stand for?

Registered
Are you planning on using the 6sp box from the Alhambra engine? (if it had one asz was the in mk4 golfs and many more vag units)
I just missed out on a caravelle with pd130 and 6sp box......
look forward to seeing how you get on, shall watch with Interest....good luck 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Bit of progress got the old engine out of the van already the ASZ is a lot smaller and lighter than the AJT it took two of us a few hours to get to this point.

We plan on re using the original 5 cylinder gearbox for now luckily they are designed with both 5 cylinder and 4 cylinder bell housing patterns.

And the empty engine bay

Next job on the list is trial fit gearbox to new engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Right gearbox all cleaned up after a lot of farting about we managed to get everything to fit together, we had to trim a bit of material from the top of the bell housing to clear the various parts of the pd cylinder head, no going back now as the bolt holes for the 5 cylinder engine had to be chopped off the bell housing. Notice the difference from the picture in my last post.

From here you can really see the forward lean of the engine very different to how it sits in a Golf or Alhambra.

Looks like we are going to run into some clearance issues with the sump as the extended drive output and driveshaft flange both touch the sump at the back, everything else looks ok which is a relief.

T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
I always love reading these sorts of threads, particularly when they're detailed as well as this project is so far. Great pictures too, even I can follow what's going on! Personally, I wouldn't even contemplate an engine swap .................... wouldn't need to, my T4 looks as though it's just come out of a showroom!

Wish you all the best with this major undertaking Chris, and hopefully you don't get too many issues (y)

TURK

Registered
Do you know if there will be issues with the oil pick up position in the sump? I know the problems guys have had with swapping a Volvo engine & the sump & pick up need changing for the original T4. I wondered if you had the same issue?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know if there will be issues with the oil pick up position in the sump? I know the problems guys have had with swapping a Volvo engine & the sump & pick up need changing for the original T4. I wondered if you had the same issue?
I think we are going to use sump and oil pick up pipe from an AXB engine which is a very similar engine fitted to a t5. The original AJT or ABL type parts aren鈥檛 compatible with the PD engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I meant to put this in the last post but we are using a mk3 golf tdi flywheel but any mk3 golf era 02a one will work I imagine. New flywheel bolts fitted and an off the shelf mk3 vr6 clutch from a AAA engine code.

The clutch pressure plate has the same spine pattern as the input shaft of the t4 gearbox so everything goes together lovely, also remember at this point to fit the thin metal spacer/flywheel guard we used the original ASZ part.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Next is probably the most complicated part so far, the cam belt side engine mount the original t4 lower mount and gearbox mount are able to be re used no problem so that鈥檚 2/3 of the way there already:). the Golf and Alhambra mounts aren鈥檛 much use but we did use part of a Golf mount as a starting point for the new mount.

We started by making a reverse jig using a spare 4cylinder block and ABL style cam belt side mount.

It won鈥檛 perfect but it will get us pretty close so we don鈥檛 have to struggle making a mount with the engine swinging on a crane in a cramped engine bay. We are building the jig of off common mounting holes present on both the ASZ engine and original T4 or similar 4 cylinder engine.

Once made we swapped it over to the ASZ block.

As you can see nothing flash but it looks like it should work, as I say this is just a jig to make the mount from and not the finished mount. Notice in the last picture the metal bracket with AG cast into it this is a cam belt side mount common to all mk4 chassis cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
And her it is the finished mount I didn鈥檛 take any photos of it in progress but I鈥檓 sure you can can imagine it in your minds eye.

Once it was made we fitted the factory bonded rubber mount to it. Our plan all along is to use as many factory parts as possible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
We were so excited at this point the next job was to try it in the engine bay of the van:) and it fitted first time all bolt holes lined up perfectly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
So after that the engine gets pulled out and a few bits cleaned up and we added a couple of spacers cut out of steel plate to lower the engine slightly on the drivers side to allow room for the turbo waste gate to clear the bulkhead.

We also made a support piece for the extended drive output and gave them all a lick of black paint

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
This may or may not be the final version of the mount be we will see as time goes on how they workout:)

So now engine goes back in for the last time.

Next job is to address the sump and oil pick up situation.

Full of Cr*p....
I'd honestly be thinking about the "new" angle of the engine, and the oil-pickup pipe.....
OOOPS...sorry, just read your last comment!

Some very nice fabrication going on there.

Super Moderator
I think that a vr6 clutch is not going to take the torque of the diesel..

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I think that a vr6 clutch is not going to take the torque of the diesel..
Maybe not? I guess we will see how it goes over time I鈥檝e got confidence in them it鈥檚 my go to clutch for every engine conversion I鈥檝e done and touch wood I鈥檝e never had any problems but I鈥檝e never put one in a 2 ton van before :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts