VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok fitted my clutch pedal bracket last night , easy fit and now i have a fault light flashing so i plugs in the lap top and no fault found ,any ideas what to do , checked brake lights working ok , im out of ideas :eek:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
ok fitted my clutch pedal bracket last night , easy fit and now i have a fault light flashing so i plugs in the lap top and no fault found ,any ideas what to do , checked brake lights working ok , im out of ideas :eek:
Check the brake light switch, its normally that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i have checked its still there lol and the brake lights are working fine , what do i check on it ???

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Check it's adjusted correctly.

Take the switch out and reset the plunger, to do this, gently pull the plunger fully out from the switch. Then press the brake pedal fully down with your hand, and while the pedal is down refit the switch, then let the pedal go and you should hear a series of little clicks. This is the switch adjusting itself.

T:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello all,
Just picked up my T4 2.5 tdi 97 plate today, never had a vw before drove 180mls back home WHAT A MOTOR:D But half way home plug light started flashing, phoned the guy up i had it off and he said touch the brakes and it will go off. Yes it does but then starts flashing again after three miles and repeated, could this be the brake switch or is it somthing more serious:( could any body suggest what it might be? other wise i am going to get trough pads and disks quickly!!. Sorry but this is only my second posting and was not sure where to post it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
You may have a brakelight bulb out or your brake switch may need to be adjusted. If it does, follow this;

Take the switch out and reset the plunger, to do this, gently pull the plunger fully out from the switch. Then press the brake pedal fully down with your hand, and while the pedal is down refit the switch, then let the pedal go and you should hear a series of little clicks. This is the switch adjusting itself.

T:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just had a similar problem and have just resolved it. Although im not sure how. The plug light had been on for a few days and I finally got to my mechanic today. It came up as the brake switch. Bought a new one and fitted it but still no joy. So started to hunt around the light cluster onthe drivers side to see if any thing was hanging out. Still no luck. Check the bulb, all fine. Then checked the fuse (no.9 to row 10amp) that had blown. Replaced that and it blew straight away. Then took the pasenger side cluster out and checked it. Refitted a fuse and removed the two light clusters to try and eliminate them one by one.

The middle brake light now worked and the plug light went out. Plugged the left cluster back in, that worked, then the right, that worked!. So I found no earthing out on the body and could not really find the fault but they work now???

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just had a similar problem and have just resolved it. Although im not sure how. The plug light had been on for a few days and I finally got to my mechanic today. It came up as the brake switch. Bought a new one and fitted it but still no joy. So started to hunt around the light cluster onthe drivers side to see if any thing was hanging out. Still no luck. Check the bulb, all fine. Then checked the fuse (no.9 to row 10amp) that had blown. Replaced that and it blew straight away. Then took the pasenger side cluster out and checked it. Refitted a fuse and removed the two light clusters to try and eliminate them one by one.

The middle brake light now worked and the plug light went out. Plugged the left cluster back in, that worked, then the right, that worked!. So I found no earthing out on the body and could not really find the fault but they work now???

hi.....had the same , if it happens again it must be the brake light switch mine was intermitten.......

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151170&highlight=brake+light+switch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts