VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When youre away what do choose to eat ?

Theres not heaps of room for big bulky items and you ideally dont wanna be shopping everyday.
Also you have to consider prep time and the amount of clearing up afterwards .
Obviously stuff like bread rolls,bacon ,eggs , beans , pasta ,rice always firm favourites for having in the van .

We've also learnt where possible always use a paper towel instead of a plate to save on washing up ;)
Going to the local pub is always a good option but can prove to be expensive if done every day . ...sunday lunch only then right ? T:

So what 'one pan wonders' or quick and easy fixes do you good people have to share for meal times ?

Try 3 handfuls of pasta spirals in a wok , a can of mushroom soup , a few sprigs of broccoli and 200g of whatevever you can find on the cold meats counter plus salt and pepper to taste T: ready in a few minutes , costs very little and all done in one pan . :jiggy

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I make and freze chilli before going use it as an ice block in the cooler and then as a meal T:
Love instant porrage pots for a hot hearty breakfast as well T:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Ps in my younger (single) days to save washing up i put tins soup/beans/all day breakfast! Straight on the gas ring and used a welding glove and a spoon ! LOL:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
These days things are a bit more child friendly
The kids love fresh pancakes made with one of those shaker bottles where you add milk
Tbh i like them too :D

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would normally freeze a curry or chilli too , agreed ...great , quick and easy T:

I like porridge but i must admit to being more partial to croissants and coffee in the morning these days which is alot less healthy .

We're currently into our 4th week away in our van ....i'll be alot fatter in no time at all eating at this rate!! :D

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Cooked chicken from the supermarket, French bread, salad, cherry toms, cucumber and some grated cheese is a family favourite for us when we're camping, quite messy though and got to be bacon butties for breakfast, agree with you stu on the pancakes, my kids would eat them every day if they could! T:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Corn beef hash. Tins of corn beef, new potatoes, peas and a carton of gravy granules. make the gravy in the saucepan, chop the beef and chuck it in followed by the spuds and peas. Seaason to taste.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tesco do cans of curry - and you get a lot in there. Easy, but heavy.
I'm a fan of sausage pasta using "Copurnicus sausage" or mattessons smoked sausage. Boil pasta, drain water, add a block of pasata, chopped sausage and herbs. All done in one pan.

Boiled eggs with cold pasta and mayo. Bit of ham or tuna in there, peppers, tinned sweetcorn anything.
"No drain" Tuna and mayo in soft rolls. You can mix it in the tin.

Little brioche rolls come individually wrapped - quick with a coffee and no crumbs.
Coco pops squares - It's a chocolate cake.
Peanuts. The smaller the packet the better.
Packet soups - some are more filling than others so buy based on weight.

If you have time to prep then you can put cluster type cereal in baggies with enough dried milk to work when you add water. Sort of an MRE.
Packet noodles when all else fails. I buy them in boxes and use old pot noodle pots. You get more than in a pot noodle and takes up less room. Lightweight.

Biccies. I always seem to snack more when I'm out.
Sachets of hot chocolate - you can use the folded packet to stir it.

Good idea using frozen chilli as an ice block.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some good ideas there Scooby A:

Gotta go shopping tomorrow so will be on the lookout for heavy packet soups , might even try the wholesalers for some packets of peanuts too T:

Finding at the minute storing anymore than a couple of days worth of food takes up alot of space . ...still buying bulky items and need to learn .

Steak and mushrooms tonight J:

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We've had a few problems trying to cook outdoors now the weather is notably colder , the portable gas hob simply doesnt want to work because of the lack of pressure in the little aerosol style cans .

Our answer is cook earlier in the day and chuck it all back in the microwave when we're ready to eat at night or just buy microwavable stuff in the first place ....very lazy i know :D
We've found that tesco do a £1.59 frozen chicken dinner and 2 giant yorkies £1

Add to them some broccoli and the lot cooks in the microwave so no freezing your buns off outside with the hob that wont play ball , we can sit inside watching telly with our feet up in the warm until our version of a sunday roast goes 'ping' :cool:

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
If it cant be done in a woc we eat out. Chicken curry (jar of Sherwoods) my fave. Sit in the awning with a beer and the little stove and get the neighbours salivating with the smell. Its akin to bacon cooking. mmm

·
Registered
238 Posts
Each to their own, but with the exception of takeaways and cooking your own meals & freezing them, all of the other suggestions sounds absolutely disgusting to me!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it cant be done in a woc we eat out. Chicken curry (jar of Sherwoods) my fave. Sit in the awning with a beer and the little stove and get the neighbours salivating with the smell. Its akin to bacon cooking. mmm
I like your style ...
We normally go for prawns and a jar of lidl rogan josh sauce T: truly awesome .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts