VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really fancied a set of side bars so I set about making my own, ordered some 60mm stainless from work spent nearly 2 weeks polishing them by hand (although the nippa did help, is this child slave labour?)

Made all the brackets in work and painted them before bolting them through the pipes.

Had a great idea for the end caps!:D

They were a little oversize so I attached to a drill and sanded them down.

Bonded a spray can top to the back and put a dab on silicone on them before fitting them in the pipes.

Happy with the result, at a fraction of the costT:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Really fancied a set of side bars so I set about making my own, ordered some 60mm stainless from work spent nearly 2 weeks polishing them by hand (although the nippa did help, is this child slave labour?)

Made all the brackets in work and painted them before bolting them through the pipes.

Had a great idea for the end caps!:D

They were a little oversize so I attached to a drill and sanded them down.

Bonded a spray can top to the back and put a dab on silicone on them before fitting them in the pipes.

Happy with the result, at a fraction of the costT:

train em young i say :) lol smart looking side bars mate T:

·
Registered
362 Posts
great set of bars, i nearly did this but i couldt find a polished tube cheap enough to warrent trying, and with so much other work to do before the bank holiday camp i couldnt poish my own in time, think the vw badge thing is a great ideaA:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Very nice.:ILU:
Arn't you worried they will fill up with mud?LOL:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a few messages about the side bars and if i can make people a set or not so i'll fill you in with some details.

I work for a very large fabrication firm and bought the stainless through them. It cost me, wait for it.....£37.50 for a 6 metre length and its very good quality stuff. Its 3mm wall so should keep the dents at bay, although this does make them quite heavy. The brackets were made from mild steel and painted then bolted on (Ive got no equipment to weld stainless), bonus is these cost nothing as we scrap hundreds of off cuts just the right size in work:D.

Now I did think about making a few sets to sell and contacted the steel company that my employers use. They want to charge me £18.50 a metre:(, . obviously this puts the price up to the point it was hardly worth my while (flooded market as it is).

Heres the deal, I could (if enough people are interested) approach my boss about making them for me. I think if I could ask him to make a batch of around 20+ pairs he would be up for it. I could just ask him to order a load of stainless and we could all make our own, but hes a bit of a funny guy and I think he may have a problem with me doing this although again if people would rather do that then all I can do is ask the guy.

pm me or post on here if your interested and i'll see what I can doT:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi,
Can you post some images / dimensions of the mounting plates/brackets. I can get the stainless and prob get it welded but I wanted to know what I'd be looking at to get the brackets made.
Cheers
Paul.

·
Banned
4,285 Posts
i'd have a set mate, don't need them polished as i would cover them in my vinyl!!!

deffo want a set, as i don't see the point in paying £145 for a polished set if i'm going to cover them lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nice.

I would also like some dimensions of the brackets, hole positions etc if possible - *** packet sketch would be ok - doesn't need to be a CAD drawing! I am guessing you worked it out as you went along but if you could give me a ruff idea that would be great.

I might be able to get one of the engineering firms I work with to make me a set as a one off.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts