VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've got a SWB T5 with pop-top and Reimo awning rail. Drive-away tents are a faff for touring/weekends away, so i'm thinking about a wind-out awning (Fiamma F45 or equivalent). Does anyone know if it's possible to attach an awning (F45 or equivalent!), to an awning rail without drilling?

As far as i can tell, the only option with a multi-rail is one of these http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-F...ter-Brackets/Fiamma-Kit-Multirail-Reimo-VW-T5 but that requires drilling into the roof and that would make me sad :-(

(Why without drilling? A) I'm a wuss and don't want to put holes in my lovely van; B) maybe I might wanna take the Fiamma off one day… and won't want to leave afore mentioned big holes in the roof…)

Photo of multi-rail below…

Thanks in advance :)

Gareth

·
Registered
406 Posts
...you might consider a Caravanstore awning - simpler than a Fiamma, slides into your awning rail, unrolls, legs and arms extended, job done. After use either leave it on, or slide it off the awning rail and keep it inside under cover. I keep mine in a back bedroom.
About £100 used. Various lengths available, mine's a 225.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,427 Posts
Mounting to the roof bar bolts looks a good solution.

To the OP - before you think about hanging one on anything less substantial than that, bear in mind that a Fiamma F45 weighs around 35 kilos...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Mounting to the roof bar bolts looks a good solution.

To the OP - before you think about hanging one on anything less substantial than that, bear in mind that a Fiamma F45 weighs around 35 kilos...
Fiamma F45 for T5 which is 2,6m long weight 19,5kg

·
Premium Member
6,346 Posts
Does the canvas of your pop top still allow access to the VW roof bar mounting holes in the gutter? If so would it be possible to extend the Fiamma bracket to pick up off the VW holes instead of drilling new holes?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Ah Ok - perhaps mine (on a Transit) was a bit longer. I think they must have changed the construction since mine was built - I weighed it when it was last off the van and I'm sure it was over 30 kilos. Either way, it's still pretty heavy...
30kg is 4m long.
OK to OP
Why you do not go ffor factory brackets? They are bolt on but Fiamma will not "cooperate" with factory brackets. They are for Omnistor awning ( littel more expensice tahn Fiamma ). Pictures:

not sure if they will work with pop top

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks Sunowner, does it not catch on the passenger and sliding doors?
Not on mine it doesn't, though the bag itself comes close, as you can just make out in the picture - it really depends how high up (or not) your awning rail is in relation to the sliding door opening. You might get a better idea from the Fiamma website, Caravanstore.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
For fitting a Fiamma awning to e Reimo rail I would suggest talking to someone at Concept Multi Car at Hythe. http://www.conceptmulti-car.co.uk/

Although in the past I have had to get brackets made up for the job, admittedly for an Omnistor but they would be easily adaptable. The brackets clamp into the slot in the rail and protrude above the rail.

If you have a look at our previous camper described on www.1946vw.co.uk before it was sold, all the details and pictures are still visible. Although it is a LWB High Top the awning rails are Reimo the same as yours and fitted like that the awning should clear a pop-top without problem. That awning is an Omnistor.

Rod

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I borrowed a canvas bag Fiamma that slides into the awning rail… but when not in use it just hangs over the passenger door and the sliding door. In the end I bought one of these tarpaulins with a bead that fits into the awning rail:

http://www.lightningleisure.com/acatalog/Camper-Canopy-Tarp-Grey-63.html

It takes a couple of mins to put up and a couple more to put down, and can easily be tucked away when not in use.

Obviously a little more fiddly than a permanent Fiamma style, but more convenient, more versatile, more canopy and better price than a Fiamma in a bag solution. Thoroughly recommend one if you've got an awning rail, and unsure if you want to go the whole hog with a permanent awning.

Garf

1 - 20 of 23 Posts