VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of buying a fiamma 45s 260mm awning, i have roof rails, do i need to do away with the roof rails or can they be retained with the awning?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi not sure which one it is on mine but it is a Fiamma and I have roof bars and cross bars still on it. Best picture I have sorry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for replies, probably go same route as in the video and retain my roof bars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for replies, probably go same route as in the video and retain my roof bars.
further to my question about fiamma awnings, looked at a t5 with one fitted and it occurred to me that they could easily be stolen as it looked like only 2 bolts holding it in place to the bracket, is anything on the market ie like locking wheel bolt type of nut system to prevent theft, had a brand new spare wheel stolen so i,m a bit wary.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have had 4 motorhomes before the T5.1 and had Fiamma on all of them, I have never heard of one being stolen before.
Brian

·
Registered
T5.1 LWB 4Motion T30
50 Posts
Sorry I’m not familiar with the way the mountings for this awning are presented, but if they use nuts and if If you’re worried you could go with something like this:

Replace/combine with security torx / tamper proof machine screws.

Although, as alluded to above, opportunity accounts for a lot in theft from vehicles, and it’s a big item, that’s difficult to access without being seen, difficult to conceal unless it’s going straight into another van etc and it’s not a quick turnover item that the opportunist thief can shift fast like a sat nav, phone, or watch.

do what you can to slow them down, but don’t let fear of it being stolen stop you having one and spoiling your enjoyment of your van.

·
Registered
963 Posts
As previous replies have said if someone wants to steal something they’ll find a way unfortunately. I’ve wondered myself if many do get pinched as like you say only a couple of fixings holding it in place. Hope you don’t let it put you off and get one as they’re a nice bit of kit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for replies, certainly wont stop me buying one, just erring on the safe side, hence me asking for advice on here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought my van with a side awning and roof bars.
I took the roof bars off ready to get the poptop fitted. Noticed the side awning had heavy brackets that I had to grind off so as to get poptop fitted.
The side awning is stuck ridgid, won't budge, you can just see the black mastic there, and thats all that holding it. I've done a few miles since, motorway etc and its solid.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts