VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have just fitted my awning today to my T5. Must say a little concerned that all the awning weight is held by two flimsy brackets. Anyone out there had theirs on for a while who can reassure me the thing is not going to fly off when I hit the first pot hole. Also did people who have fitted them had to put some rubber under the brackets to stop it destroying the paintwork. I assume Fiamma provide something but mine was missing?

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
hi i had 1 on my t5 for 3 months no probs was no rubber to protect paint just the rubber spacers and went away for a month all way to rome n back then i took them off to put a pop top on and fabricated new ones to allow fitment with pop top

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Evidently didn't get any rubber spacers so had to make some rubber pads which have done the job. I am going to look around and see if I can get hold of a another bracket as I would feel easier if there were 3 holding it on in case one gives. Hit a bloody pot hole today which cause me to lose control of the van for a moment, hate to think of the stresses to those flimsy brackets. Have photographed and reported the hole, but doubt much will be done. Anyone got a bracket they want to sell to fit the T5 van?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I had a 3 metre Omnistor on two bespoke (like those from Middlesex Motorcaravans but a bit taller) brackets on a Reimo rail plus an extra two for stability when the awning was extended. The awning was fitted for over two years without problem.

Sure it looks frail but seemed to be strong enough in use.

Rod.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
hi i read on here or the brickworks forum that the brackets are made to fit the curve of the roof at the correct points and any extra wont fit the roof curve properly.dunno if this would be the same on both types of bracket(for roof prep rails and bolt in types)
i think those brackets do seem a bit thin but alli is suprisingly strong.
do you not get a couple of sticky plastic clear paint protectors?
i havent got round to fitting mine yet but was planning to put some old inner tube between the van and the bracket

bunny

·
Registered
195 Posts
Over two years down the line and no issues. I must admit I had similar concerns as those voiced above and bought a second set of brackets. However as the poster above said, they don't fir
t because of the curve of the roof.

Anyway, they are not required.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi peeps, (this was a post I have just put on Brickworks)

I want to talk Fiamma F45ti brackets!
I have a swb T5 kombi and a Fiamma F45ti 3 meter awning that I bought off fleabay! I didn't go for the dedicated T5 Fiamma kit as it was too expensive and only 2.6 meter (I think), I mean if you're gonna have an awning less than 3 meters you may as well wear a sombrero!

I purchased a pair of brackets from Frontier Leisure that bolt directly to the front and rearmost holes on the passenger side roof channel (given up trying to upload the diagram!) I used this awning last summer but I am not convinced that 1 x 6mm bolt holding each bracket is secure enough for a 22kg awning, especially at motorway speeds.

The confusing issue for me is that these brackets come with 2 holes in each to bolt to your roof, but the T5 swb only has 1 hole x 4 along each side of the roof. I have raised this issue with Fiamma tech help and they don't seem to have an answer!!
I have therefore had to drill a central hole in each bracket to get it to sit right, but 1 x 6mm bolt is far from adequate for this application. One could break a 6mm bolt with a couple pairs of pliers! If the awning were to come away from the van on the motorway, this would be catastrophic for the van, other road users and for sure, the awning itself!

Now I am aware that there is the other type of Fiamma bracket for the T5 which sits lower on the corner of the roof and attaches to the roof prep rails that come as standard on the caravelle. This seems like a better attachment but there are also problems with this, for a start, the brackets are £95 and a VW roof prep rail is £65, thats another 160 quid.
Another problem is, although on these type brackets the awning looks more integral on the van, my van is substantially lowered so I have concerns that there won't be enough head room under the awning as it is already close when my hair is spiked up lol!

Any thoughts from anyone who has fitted Fiamma awnings to T5's would be well received, although i fear there may not be a satisfactory solution!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Hi peeps, (this was a post I have just put on Brickworks)

I want to talk Fiamma F45ti brackets!
I have a swb T5 kombi and a Fiamma F45ti 3 meter awning that I bought off fleabay! I didn't go for the dedicated T5 Fiamma kit as it was too expensive and only 2.6 meter (I think), I mean if you're gonna have an awning less than 3 meters you may as well wear a sombrero!

I purchased a pair of brackets from Frontier Leisure that bolt directly to the front and rearmost holes on the passenger side roof channel (given up trying to upload the diagram!) I used this awning last summer but I am not convinced that 1 x 6mm bolt holding each bracket is secure enough for a 22kg awning, especially at motorway speeds.

The confusing issue for me is that these brackets come with 2 holes in each to bolt to your roof, but the T5 swb only has 1 hole x 4 along each side of the roof. I have raised this issue with Fiamma tech help and they don't seem to have an answer!!
I have therefore had to drill a central hole in each bracket to get it to sit right, but 1 x 6mm bolt is far from adequate for this application. One could break a 6mm bolt with a couple pairs of pliers! If the awning were to come away from the van on the motorway, this would be catastrophic for the van, other road users and for sure, the awning itself!

Now I am aware that there is the other type of Fiamma bracket for the T5 which sits lower on the corner of the roof and attaches to the roof prep rails that come as standard on the caravelle. This seems like a better attachment but there are also problems with this, for a start, the brackets are £95 and a VW roof prep rail is £65, thats another 160 quid.
Another problem is, although on these type brackets the awning looks more integral on the van, my van is substantially lowered so I have concerns that there won't be enough head room under the awning as it is already close when my hair is spiked up lol!

Any thoughts from anyone who has fitted Fiamma awnings to T5's would be well received, although i fear there may not be a satisfactory solution!
6mm bolts if high tensile wont be broken with pliers. Have you seen the four bolts your drivers seat is held on by?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts