VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - short of finding the cash for a new board, I'm wanting to 'pep up' my longboard a bit and was thinking of having a play with a change of fin.

I'm currently back on the standard 8" jobbie that it came with, having tried the 'turbo tunnel' (too stable - boring fin) and some weird winged keel type thing that I blagged as a test (it's supposed to make the board turn quicker - can't say I noticed......).

I used to have a magic carpet and the fin on that worked well on the longboard, but I'm just after any input really.

It's a 9'3", squashed pintail, built to cruise more than perform (it's a custom from LSD), although it does turn quite well.

It doesn't nose ride well (or at least I can't get it too) so I'm just wanting to try and get a bit more performance out of it - or even have another stab at trying to noseride it....

Anyway - fin suggestions and/or preferences please......

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
hey

move your standard fin forwards/backwards in the fin box this can make a lot of difference also a smaller fin pushed to the front of the box wil loosen things up.................................:ILU:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh - done that lots and I currently run the fin right at the front which makes it nice and loose, but kind of slow ......

I guess I'm just really missing my magic carpet - it hated anything other than super clean surf but the pintail made it just so 'chuckable', yet it still had plenty of speed too. And it worked in anything from a foot upwards too! :(

I'm tempted to throw a Nine Plus standard 9" fin on (as it's the same shape as the old carpet fin) and see what happens - but if someone has good things to say about cutaways or something, then I'd love to hear some recommendations......

I've just been drooling over Nine Plus longboards (I REALLY want a pintail!) :eek::eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi So-Cal,

Why don't you buy some fin plugs and stick them in for a thruster set-up? You will definitely be able to chuck it about a bit more then!

It will give you a lot more room to experiment with small side fins/standard fcs etc.

They are pretty easy to put in really if you have the right size saw drill bit - just fill the hole with q-cell, set the new plug in and sand back flush.

If you don't like the three fins just take out the side ones and continue on a single fin!T:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi So-Cal,

Why don't you buy some fin plugs and stick them in for a thruster set-up? You will definitely be able to chuck it about a bit more then!

It will give you a lot more room to experiment with small side fins/standard fcs etc.

They are pretty easy to put in really if you have the right size saw drill bit - just fill the hole with q-cell, set the new plug in and sand back flush.

If you don't like the three fins just take out the side ones and continue on a single fin!T:
Certainly worth a thought, but I kind of like the old skool single fin thing and too many choices will only confuse me even more ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts